zpool state degraded - device has been removed by the administrator - but not by me

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm90

Cadet
Hi,

i have used my FreeNAS-Home-Server for the last five years without any big problems - but now i need help.

My Hardware is a HP ProLiant Microserver (N39L) with four HDD Bays. I have 2 WD RED HDD´s (each 3 TB) in one mirror-ZFS-Pool with my Data. I run - FreeNAS-11.1-U1.
This Configuration worked very well in the past - but a few days ago i get this alert:

"The volume ZFSMirror state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state."

The device was offlined - so i thought the HDD is broken. I took a new hard drive and replaced the drive physically (after shutdown the system) an then i started the
resilvering process in the GUI. When the resilvering was completed i get the same alert-message again and the pool was in state "degraded" again.

At next step i changed the Hardware-Drive-Bay on the Server. (First Slot 3 - now Slot 1)
So this evening - after hours of resilvering process - i get the same alert-Message - and degraded-state again.

Now i have no idea what the Problem can solve...

Thats the report of - zpool status

pool: ZFSMirror
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
'zpool replace'.
scan: resilvered 306G in 0 days 07:25:59 with 0 errors on Sun Jul 29 21:43:22 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
ZFSMirror DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
gptid/db4fa87c-0135-11e8-a313-6805ca2e0602.eli ONLINE 0 0 0
17084216609978120018 REMOVED 0 0 0 was /dev/gptid/3ee3fca9-9329-11e8-b8dd-6805ca2e0602.eli

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Have you checked that the connection between the backplane and the motherboard is secure? If a cable worked its way loose, you might experience errors like these. I would also suggest trying the new drive in the slot 4 (or slot 2, whichever other slot you haven't tried yet).

kevm90

Cadet
Have you checked that the connection between the backplane and the motherboard is secure? If a cable worked its way loose, you might experience errors like these. I would also suggest trying the new drive in the slot 4 (or slot 2, whichever other slot you haven't tried yet).

Yes, the cable looks like it has a good connection. It's not a normal SATA cable - it looks like a special one. From the Motherboard starts one big cable that separates each wire that ends at the bays. So I cant simply change the cable. But the cable connectors are connected secure.

Hmm, I have installed a total of four HDDs and the HDD that is now connected to slot 3 was first in slot 1 and never had a failure. Slot 2 is the second HDD of my data mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.