zpool import shows no pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureCaboose

Cadet
Hi,

I need your help please.

My USB that contained the FreeNAS install failed, I have build another one of the same version and rebooted my FreeNAS. I can see all the HDD's that are installed yet when I run a zpool import it does nothing. I have not changed, removed or otherwise done anything other then build a new USB FreeNAS OS.

zpool status says "no pools available"
camcontrol dev list shows all 4 drives (4x3TB WDC30EFRX drives, all identical)
gpart show has the same data for all drives, 47k free, freebsw-swap 2.0g, freebsd-zfs 2.7T and free 3.5k

Any help is appreciated on this, I really need to recover this data. This is our backup server, our primary died in a flood and now the backup is dead as well (it didn't get wet), all in a few days of each other.

And, yes we should have off-site backups but the servers were in different buildings and our nearest off-site neighbor is a 20 minute drive....and our internet is maxed a little over 5 meg ADSL2 so net based backups are out.

PureCaboose

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's the output of 'zpool import'? And the forum rules would be helpful here--hardware, FreeNAS version, pool configuration, etc...

PureCaboose

Cadet
What's the output of 'zpool import'? And the forum rules would be helpful here--hardware, FreeNAS version, pool configuration, etc...

The zpool import pauses for a few seconds then just gives a new command prompt.

I'll pull the hardware specs when i am back in the office this afternoon.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you try auto import from the GUI?

titan_rw

Guru
If the drives show partitions, what does "zdb -l /dev/adaXp2" show? It should display 4 labels (0-3), and the other devices that make up that vdev.

This is all assuming the pool was not encrypted.

PureCaboose

Cadet
If the drives show partitions, what does "zdb -l /dev/adaXp2" show? It should display 4 labels (0-3), and the other devices that make up that vdev.

This is all assuming the pool was not encrypted.

When I run the command you suggest for each drive 0-3, for each lable also 0-3 it says failed to unpack label X

PureCaboose

Cadet
ZFS file system is version 5
ZFS Storage pool version 28

The server is a HP Micro server thingy. It only has 2GB of RAM, but has been running happily for the last 2 years until the USB crapped itself.

Intel Celeron G1610T @ 2.3GHz

The drives area all Western Digital WD-WCC1T0669596. 3TB Red drives all procured and installed at the same time.

danb35

Hall of Famer

PureCaboose

Cadet
Well that's a shame. I guess this is why I went back to doing stuff for myself. I had the Freenas put together for me as I was too busy at the time, and now it looks like I should have just done it myself.

OK, is there anyway to recover the data? considering it has been running for the last 2 years without issue and the reason it stopped is the USB thumb drive failed. I know it failed as it won't recognize when I put it in any of the machines here....dead, nada, nothing.

Well that's a shame. I guess this is why I went back to doing stuff for myself. I had the Freenas put together for me as I was too busy at the time, and now it looks like I should have just done it myself.

OK, is there anyway to recover the data? considering it has been running for the last 2 years without issue and the reason it stopped is the USB thumb drive failed. I know it failed as it won't recognize when I put it in any of the machines here....dead, nada, nothing.
Do you have a FreeNAS-able (spec wise) system? With 8Gb or more RAM, a known good/tested SATA controller? If so you COULD try putting the hdds in that, reinstall FreeNAS to a spare USB and then see if you can get the pool.....if you have spare RAM floating around you could increase the micro server to have over 8Gb of RAM too....but that may not be cost effective, and if its like my G8 micro server, it maxes out at 16Gb of RAM.....

PureCaboose

Cadet
I can up spec the RAM I think if I pilfer it out of one of the workstation, I will give that a try tonight when I am back in the office and let you know how it goes.

I can up spec the RAM I think if I pilfer it out of one of the workstation, I will give that a try tonight when I am back in the office and let you know how it goes.
just make sure if its a diff workstation it has a intel NIC and chipset/sata controller....thats known good and proven...otherwise if you can get the micro online you can do it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.