ZFS write throttle only working for quad-core CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi guys

I run my FreeNAS 8.3.1p2 for supplying my ESXi via ISCSI.

old CPU: Intel XEON 5060
new CPU: Intel XEON E5345

RAM: 8GB
HDDs: 4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (ST31500341AS) configured as a RaidZ2 with "force 4K sector"
ZIL: none
L2ARC: 64GB SSD

When i set it up i noticed a very bad ISCSI 4k write performance and enabled the tunable (vfs.zfs.no_write_throttle) as seen in this thread:

http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1830

However when i had my old 2-core CPU installed in the FreeNAS host this didn't improve performance. Now that i have a quad-core CPU the tunable works, see the 2 below screenshots (CrystalDiskMark is installed in a Win7 x86 VM on my ESXi).

Is there a reson behind it why the results differ so much or is a quad-core CPU needed to make the tuneable work?

Cheers

Thomy

Attachments

• 2CPU no write throttle.jpg
    2CPU no write throttle.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 4CPU no write throttle.jpg
    4CPU no write throttle.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 268

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The tunable probably worked just fine, but wasn't getting you any benefit because the system was the slowest link in the chain. For whatever it is worth, ZFS is big and piggy. Totally awesome if you have resources to throw at it, like lots of CPU and memory. Less awesome if you have older technology. We had some Opteron 240EE fileservers from ~2005 era that were totally capable of saturating gigE, but under FreeNAS they were pretty crummy.

Moral of the story: if you want best performance, use FFS/UFS for storage on slower systems, or resource your system more heavily to offset the larger resource consumption of ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.