ZFS Volume Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCLAN

Cadet
If you have a ZFS Volume setup and in use and its space becomes limited can expand it? System like Linux's LVM and Windows 8 Storage Spaces can do this without destroying the existing data.
I would like to know if FreeNAS can do this as well.

Any help would be very helpful. Thank you.

david kennedy

Explorer
Yes, but only by adding another VDEV ideally of similiar redundancy.

Say you have "mypool" and it is 5 drives in raidz1 config.
To expand this you would need to add another vdev to the pool consisting of 5 drives in raid1.

Unlike in linux you cant reshape an array by adding single drives and you really should not mix redundancy levels in a pool.

RDCLAN

Cadet
Thank you very much for the explanation, this help a lot.

May I ask in if the Volume is setup as a RAID zero or JBOD then adding 1 or 2 drive to an existing volume that has 4 drives shouldn't be a problem. Since there is no redundancy. Am I correct?

david kennedy

Explorer
If i understand this you are stating you have two drives spanned and want to know if you can add more to this?

I dont see why not, but i must warn you that in a "span" or raid-zero config if you lose a single disk you lose all the data, not just what was on the failed disk. I obviously don't understand your needs so this could be acceptable, but feel i should at least mention this risk.

RDCLAN

Cadet
Thank you very for your prompt reply. You are correct about the the spanned volume. I appreciate your feedback and have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.