ZFS send to FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipp

Cadet
We're in the process of migrating our file server from FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 to FreeBSD 10-RELEASE. I had hoped I could just move the zpool, but unfortunately that's not possible. I could create a brand new pool and restore the data from a current replica of FreeNAS, but the question is - can I use ZFS send between datasets with different ZFS features? I'm thinking this is another gig for rsync, but ZFS send would be faster.

rs225

Guru
Probably be better to try FreeBSD 9.3 or 10.1. I think both have all the ZFS features that FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 has. I think FreeBSD 9.3 even has one extra. It is possible to move pools if you are careful to create the pool with all features off, and then only turn on those which are supported across your desired systems.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
LOL. I don't think you read filipp's post. He already said it's not compatible with 10.1. So telling him to try it is not exactly helpful. :P

I'm 99% sure you can ZFS send with some flags not carried over. Naturally you'll lose those functions but it won't matter anyway since you obviously don't need them.

filipp

Cadet
Thanks. Does 9.3 really have com.delphix:hole_birth? Would you run 10.1 in a mission-critical production environment?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Personally I wouldn't run 10.0 on production because the x.0 releases usually have quirks. 10.1 isn't released yet so I wouldn't run it as they are still working out the bugs. 9.3 is what I'd recommend as it just hit RELEASE recently.

filipp

Cadet
Roger. I'll give 9.3 a shot and report back. Thanks for your input, rs225 and cyberjock.

rs225

Guru
I'm running FreeBSD 9.3, but haven't tried 10 yet. 10.1 will be the first one I try, since 9.x is ending at 9.3. Since 10.0 had a lot of changes, I do like to avoid the .0, and I will have to test for driver and compatibility issues before the change.

filipp

Cadet
9.3-RELEASE worked great. I've now actually migrated our primary file server from FreeNAS to 9.3. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.