SOLVED zfs send/receive not starting

RotsiserMho

Dabbler
I'm at a loss. I'm trying to migrate data from an old FreeNAS server running 9.2.1.7 to a new one running 11.3-U4.1. The new server has a pool called "data" which is a RAIDZ2 across 6 8TB drives. I migrated one pool by installing the drives in the new server and doing a replication via the GUI. So far, so good. But I have another pool on the old server that is a RAIDZ1 across 3 2TB drives that I can't install on the new server for lack of SATA ports. So I'm trying to migrate it via zfs send/receive over ssh. Here's what I tried:
  1. Create snapshot of old pool (called Important): zfs snap -r Important@Backup1
  2. Send to new server: zfs send -Rv Important@Backup1 | pv | ssh root@[new server] zfs receive -v data/Important
There are no errors, but the following line just prints to the console every second. I'm not sure what's happening, but neither computer has any significant CPU load.

23:16:01 174K Important@Backup1
23:16:02 174K Important@Backup1
23:16:03 174K Important@Backup1
23:16:04 174K Important@Backup1

I don't think it's working correctly.

Apollo

Wizard
Try with extra v's into the cmd:

zfs send -R -vv Important@Backup1 | ssh root@[new server] zfs receive -vv data/Important

I am unaware of the | pv commad so I won't comment on it.

If I recall things properly, you would get the repeating "174K Important@Backup1 " message if you don't have proper ssh authentication done.

See if you can run:
ssh root@[new server] zpool stauts or other commands. The intent is to verify you can actually run command remotely.

RotsiserMho

Dabbler
Ah, yes, the extra v's trick. The pv command allows for reporting progress.

You were absolutely right, I was using password authentication and I think it got stuck waiting for password entry in the middle of the pipeline or something. Switching to key-based authentication did the trick and it's transferring fine now. Thanks!

Apollo

Wizard
Ah, yes, the extra v's trick. The pv command allows for reporting progress.

You were absolutely right, I was using password authentication and I think it got stuck waiting for password entry in the middle of the pipeline or something. Switching to key-based authentication did the trick and it's transferring fine now. Thanks!
Thank you for providing feedbacks on your issue. I am running my replication process using a Python script, unfortunately, if I try to use the "|pv" option, I am unable to display real time status of the replication.

It does work as a non script based command.
One thing I have noticed its that it just provides information on how long it took to send that much data. I believe there is an option that should indicate the overall transfer state, instead. I have seen it, but don't know the command.