ZFS Replication too slow through WAN - is incremental ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaroslav Jasek

Dabbler
Hi,
What of replication is in FreeNAS - incremental ?
OR replication send all data ?
Is possible in FreeNAS change this ?
I read, that exist
Incremental Backups
zfs send can also determine the difference between two snapshots and only send the changes between the two. This results in saving disk space and transfer time !
I have the dataset 1.5 TB - this a cannot replicate through WAN with 1 Mbps data upload.

Thanks
Jaro

D

dlavigne

The first replication needs to send everything, so that one takes a while. Once that is successful, all of the other replications are incremental. Which version of FreeNAS? If it is 9.2.1.7, you can change the "Encryption Cipher" in the replication task to "Disabled" to help speed up the first replication.

Jaroslav Jasek

Dabbler
Hi,
Yes - I have FreeNAS 9.2.1.7.
OK - I try "Encryption Cipher" in the replication task to "Disabled"

One question more - when will be version 9.3 ? - where can I see wha will be new, ... - test :smile:

Jaro

Jaroslav Jasek

Dabbler
Hi,
One question more - how much date send the replication ? - can I see this in the snapshot info about size this, or ?
I firts replication start on local LAN (1Gbps) and after this I move the FreeNAS and start replication over WAN - run, run, but after 2 days is only 22 %

Jaro

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If your WAN connection is not sufficiently fast in relation to the side of snapshots what you are trying to do may be impossible. This is something you'd have to determine for yourself based on how much data is being generated per-snapshot along with the throughput capacity over the WAN.

I won't lie, I'd never ever try to replicate over a 1Mb link. Even a 10Mb link would be hard to rely on unless you are 100% sure you'd be generating only a very small amount of data.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to do replication locally or make that 1Mb WAN connection MUCH bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.