ZFS replication questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw47978

Cadet
I have two Freenas boxes. I'd like each one to have identical files/data (a primary and backup). It looks like I've got a couple of options for this: rsync or ZFS replication.

It looks to me like ZFS replication only replicates the snapshots, is that correct, or will it replicate the file starting points as well? I've tried rsync as well, but it looks like it has trouble with Windows-style ACLs...

I don't really care about the snapshot functionality, I just need the complete files and directory structure to exist on the backup box so it can run stand-alone if necessary.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have two Freenas boxes. I'd like each one to have identical files/data (a primary and backup). It looks like I've got a couple of options for this: rsync or ZFS replication.

It looks to me like ZFS replication only replicates the snapshots, is that correct, or will it replicate the file starting points as well? I've tried rsync as well, but it looks like it has trouble with Windows-style ACLs...

I don't really care about the snapshot functionality, I just need the complete files and directory structure to exist on the backup box so it can run stand-alone if necessary.

A snapshot contains the state of the filesystem up to the point when it was made. There's nothing more to replicate (and replicating a moving target is a stupid thing to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.