yep, another transmission thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcat1

Cadet
I've been using Freenas 9.10.1 simply as a fileserver without too much drama for awhile now. I can set up shares for my windows and linux boxes okay. Recently we upgraded our internet plan so I wanted to move my torrenting into a jail for 24/7 downloading to take advantage of the unlimited bandwidth. Until now I'd been using uTorrent on my PC and just transferring the completed file to my Freenas volume for storage. So my only goal is replacing pc-side uTorrent with Freenas-side Transmission. I don't want or need a chain involving Sickbeard/Couchpotato as i'll be choosing the specific torrents myself.

Now i've followed every single set up guide i can find. I must've restarted the entire process over 50+ times. At one point I got Transmission working and downloading to one of my volumes, but it was the wrong volume, so i started again. At another point i got Transmission working and downloading but i couldn't access the completed file outside the jail. Mostly, though I've been up against permissions issues. I found a guide dealing with that on this board but none of the solutions worked (i tried adding user/groups with matching ids to the dataset and it told me my chosen id 921 "has already been allocated").

All I want is to set up Transmission to download to four folders in one volume:
/mnt/pool/movies
/mnt/pool/tv
/mnt/pool/warez
/mnt/pool/misc

That's it. That's all i want. I've redone it so many times with so many different guides and threads and videos and tutorials that I now actually have no fucking idea what I'm doing (to the point where i accidentally deleted all my previously completed downloads through the transmission shell) . I swear I thought i knew what I was doing in regards to groups, users and permissions at some point but the more i've banged my head against this problem the more confused I've become until I legitimately have no idea how anything works anymore.

I'm begging someone to provide a simple step by step on how they'd go about this, starting from creating a dataset, ending at selecting a destination folder in Transmission. I'm about ready to give up and setup a raspberry pi to solely handle Transmission even though it seems like a waste of a pi. Please help me. If not for me then my terrified dog who seems to think my many outbursts of rage over this are directed at him, poor pupper.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Lol, hopefully you can get through this for your dog.

So you need a dataset, that transmission can download to, and that you can then manipulate files on?
I've setup similar setups for family members, allowing them to use SMB to modify files.

Here's a procedure that should work, using Solution #1 from my permission thread. You could use a different Solution if you prefer to change the steps a bit.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/
  1. Install Transmission plugin
  2. Create a user, for example "dude", in the FreeNAS WebUI with UID = 921 (this is needed to match the UID of transmission's user in the jail)
  3. Create the dataset you want transmission to download to, it sounds like in your case it is "pool".
    • most people use a child dataset in their zpool, I suggest you do this instead unless all you use this pool for is transmission
  4. Change permissions of the dataset to set the Owner to "dude"
  5. Create a SMB share
    • Set 'Path' to "/mnt/pool"
    • Uncheck 'Apply Default Permissions'
    • Check 'Allow Guest Access'
    • Check 'Only Allow Guest Access'
    • Set 'Auxiliary Parameter' to "force user = dude"
  6. Enable the Service 'SMB'
  7. Jails > Storage, Add the source "/mnt/pool" to the transmission jail, for example to the jail's path "/mnt/pool"
  8. In Transmission WebUI set the setting 'Download to' to "/mnt/pool"

tomcat1

Cadet
It worked! It's funny because it's almost exactly how i'd been going through the process. The two differences were that i would leave 'Apply Default Permissions' checked and not set a 'force user' in the auxiliary permissions. So it was either that or something i was fucking up on the user/group permissions that i unfucked with your help. This is truly a weight off my, and more importantly, my dog's shoulders.
Thank you so, so much.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
awesome! I was probably the 'force user' that made a difference. without that SMB will try to write with a UID for a user on your FreeNAS (not sure which one).

Status
Not open for further replies.