Xeon or Core platform for Supermicro based build?

azjet77

Cadet
I recently picked up a Supermicro 16 bay chassis to build my NAS with and now I am trying to determine what motherboard/CPU combo would do well with my requirements.

The system will be used almost exclusively as a file and media server. I will not be running VMs or Plex or other apps on it. I do need it to be reasonably power efficient, reliable, and with room for expansion. I will most likely use 2 PCI slots upfront (HBA and 2.5GbE network card). Having it run reasonably cool would be nice, since it will be located in a garage which experiences temp fluctuations with the seasons). I anticipate having 24TB of storage to start with and potentially grow it to 48-64TB within a year.

The primary question is, should I go with Core or Xeon based build? My friend who built a similar server went with X13SAE-F + i3-13100 (with ECC RAM). I've read multiple posts of people using older used Xeon mobos + CPUs, so it can work either way, but do I gain/lose anything by using one platform vs the other? Suggestions appreciated.

The other question is, how much memory should I start with - 64GB?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
2.5GbE network card
Don't. 2.5GbE is a swamp full of misery not worth crossing for a minor speedup. 10GbE is the minimum viable upgrade over 1GbE.
he primary question is, should I go with Core or Xeon based build? My friend who built a similar server went with X13SAE-F + i3-13100 (with ECC RAM). I've read multiple posts of people using older used Xeon mobos + CPUs, so it can work either way, but do I gain/lose anything by using one platform vs the other? Suggestions appreciated.
The newer stuff is a lot more expensive, but faster and with typically better I/O. The older stuff is a known quantity, low cost and low risk.
The other question is, how much memory should I start with - 64GB?
It depends. 32 GB would probably be fine as a starting point.

azjet77

Cadet
It sounds like I should go for low cost lowest TDP mobo/CPU combo since I won't be running VMs apps, does that sound right? What generation of boards and processors should I look at that will be able to support (in the sense of pushing data through) 10Gbe connection?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Single user or multiple users? Multiple users are not too difficult for even a Xeon E3 v3, given that a single thread should be capable of pushing something like 5 Gb/s over SMB, disks permitting.

azjet77

Cadet
Most likely multiuser. Does it make a big difference over single user access?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, Samba is single-threaded per connection, so it scales well with the number of users but has trouble saturating faster networks with a single transfer.

azjet77

Cadet
Well, Samba is single-threaded per connection, so it scales well with the number of users but has trouble saturating faster networks with a single transfer.
Well in that case I'll definitely set up different users (plex, etc).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not about user accounts, it's about how many connections are going on.

Etorix

Wizard
It sounds like I should go for low cost lowest TDP mobo/CPU combo since I won't be running VMs apps, does that sound right?
It sounds right, and low-power embedded Xeon would serve you well.
I was thinking of the X10SDV series (and if you can find a -7TP4F or -7TP8F you won't even need any further add-in card), and went quickly looking for one on the STH forum. Instead, I found a X11SSH-GF-1585L and its 64 GB RAM for $269. 8 threads @3.0 GHz (3.7 turbo) should do fine for SMB to a few users.

Last edited:

azjet77

Cadet
It sounds right, and low-power embedded Xeon would serve you well.
I was thinking of the X10SDV series (and if you can find a -7TP4F or -7TP8F you won't even need any further add-in card), and went quickly looking for one on the STH forum. Instead, I found a X11SSH-GF-1585L and its 64 GB RAM for $269. 8 threads @3.0 GHz (3.7 turbo) should do fine for SMB to a few users.

Thanks, that looks great. I PM'd the seller, hopefully it's still available.