Xeon e3-1245v2 compatibility with x9scm-f

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguellee

Dabbler
Hi all

I am currently have a Intel xeon e3-1245 v2 CPU working, so I would like to buy a supermicro x9scm-f and a pair of ecc ddr3 ram to start my first trial on freenas.

Is there any compatibility issue on it?

As I saw a old review on this board about the compatibility on e3-12x5 CPU.

https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x9scmf-sandy-bridge-xeon-lga1155-c204-motherboard-review/

I guess this issue should be fixed on the latest bios firmware update. Is it true?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Inxsible

Guru
Xeons ending in xxx5 usually have a graphics chip embedded in it which is pointless for a FreeNAS application. We tend to dissuade people from buying such a processor because it has features that FreeNAS does not require.

However, since you already have the processor you can choose to use it.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
As I saw a old review on this board about the compatibility on e3-12x5 CPU.

https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x9scmf-sandy-bridge-xeon-lga1155-c204-motherboard-review/

I guess this issue should be fixed on the latest bios firmware update. Is it true?
Why don't you just say what issue you are talking about instead of expecting someone to read the whole review looking for whatever?

That CPU is all wrong for this board because the board already has a video chip built in and doesn't need any graphics capability in the CPU.
Your best bet is to sell that CPU and buy one that doesn't have graphics built in.
Something like the Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 V2 works very well and isn't terribly expensive.

RodyMcAmp

Contributor
you already have the processor and the onboard gfx will not hurt anything. No need to sell and buy something else unless you want to upgrade all the way around.

miguellee

Dabbler
Why don't you just say what issue you are talking about instead of expecting someone to read the whole review looking for whatever?

That CPU is all wrong for this board because the board already has a video chip built in and doesn't need any graphics capability in the CPU.
Your best bet is to sell that CPU and buy one that doesn't have graphics built in.
Something like the Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 V2 works very well and isn't terribly expensive.
Thank you for all reply. I am sorry, the link is a reference. I will state it clearly next time.

As long as I can use this CPU with x9scm-f without major problem (as @Inxsible said), I will use it to test my freenas setup first.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
OK, let me check how to and how much to do so, thanks

Most boards of that model should be on the correct (updated) version of the firmware unless the people that were using them had a policy to not update firmware. Both of mine were already updated when I got them.

Inxsible

Guru
No, the board won't post, it's possible to flash the bios using IPMI but you'd need to buy a license.
OK, let me check how to and how much to do so, thanks

That might not be an option for you. My X9SCL-F (twin of the board you have) does not have a BIOS update via IPMI option at all. YMMV.

If you do have the option in your IPMI, then the license costs $20

miguellee

Dabbler
That might not be an option for you. My X9SCL-F (twin of the board you have) does not have a BIOS update via IPMI option at all. YMMV.

If you do have the option in your IPMI, then the license costs $20
"does not have a BIOS update via IPMI", you mean even thru IPMI, I am not able to update my bios???

Inxsible

Guru
"does not have a BIOS update via IPMI", you mean even thru IPMI, I am not able to update my bios???

I meant only through IPMI. I thought my statement was pretty clear in that my IPMI does not have a BIOS update feature -- even if I am willing to pay the $20, I still cannot update my BIOS via IPMI because there is no such option.

You can however update the BIOS via FreeDOS -- and I did just that on my board. And guess what, it was free !!

pro lamer

Guru
You can however update the BIOS via FreeDOS -- and I did just that on my board. And guess what, it was free !!

EDIT: confused E5 with E3 by mistake, my apologies:
Now I am confused wheter E5 v1 is needed to boot and run FreeDOS or not.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Now I am confused wheter E5 v1 is needed to boot and run FreeDOS or not.
A Xeon E5 is a whole different thing from any Xeon E3. Don't get confused.
What are we talking about?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Stux

MVP
End result, it should work, unless you BIOS needs updating, and if it does, then you'll have to get it updated one way or another.

a consumer Pentium SandyBridge can probably be had off ebay for cheaper than the license key... and should allow you to update.

miguellee

Dabbler
End result, it should work, unless you BIOS needs updating, and if it does, then you'll have to get it updated one way or another.

a consumer Pentium SandyBridge can probably be had off ebay for cheaper than the license key... and should allow you to update.
I already brought this motherboard, let's try the freeDos to flash the bios if it's bios version is below v2.x.

Once again thank you all your kind reply.[emoji846]

pro lamer

Guru
A Xeon E5 is a whole different thing from any Xeon E3
My mistake, thank you. Eventually I edited the post.

you'll have to get it updated one way or another.
I assume one way is: IPMI without need of having any CPU on the x9scm-f
and the other way: FreeDOS plus a CPU compatible with the current x9scm-f BIOS version.
Am I right?

I assume one way is: IPMI without need of having any CPU on the x9scm-f

Probably not possible on this board, I mentioned it earlier but @Inxsible posted his doesn't support, mine are currently off so didn't check yet, I know the X11SSM-F supports it, probably most X10 and some X9 as well.

the other way: FreeDOS plus a CPU compatible with the current x9scm-f BIOS version.
Am I right?

Correct, any compatible Sandybridge CPU, I bough several X9SCL/M-F from ebay and all were still on bios 1.x, luckily I had some spare Sandybridge Celeron and Pentium CPUs.

miguellee

Dabbler
Probably not possible on this board, I mentioned it earlier but @Inxsible posted his doesn't support, mine are currently off so didn't check yet, I know the X11SSM-F supports it, probably most X10 and some X9 as well.

Correct, any compatible Sandybridge CPU, I bough several X9SCL/M-F from ebay and all were still on bios 1.x, luckily I had some spare Sandybridge Celeron and Pentium CPUs.
I may need to buy a second hand CPU to upgrade my x9 board....

Status
Not open for further replies.