X-Windows on a headless FreeNAS Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
I want to run X aware client applications on my headless FreeNAS Mini displaying a desktop on my Windows computer running an X server. I know how to install Xming on my PC but I don't know what to do in a FreeNAS jail. I'm not sure that what I want to do is possible.

Has anyone ever installed X-Windows into a FreeNAS jail?

Sakuru

Guru
I think you could install Xorg
pkg install xorg-server

Vega Alpha

Dabbler
I followed your suggestion. I received no errors, but I don't know where to go from here.

I did search Google using "guide to installing xorg in a FreeNAS jail?" Not much came back. The top hit was about installing xorg and vnc in a ports jail on FreeBSD. If I were to go in that direction then I would have three issues.
  1. I would have to account for consequential differences between a trimmed down FreeBSD as is used with FreeNAS and a full FreeBSD system, and deliberate differences between FreeNAS and FreeBSD jails. I'm new to both of these things.
  2. The direction indicates VNC. I wanted the software to speak X Windows on the wire and not in screen bitmap differences as is done in VNC. I would want some explanation to convince me this is a good thing before I set off in that direction. I really want to use Xming or similar X Window server on Windows 10. Afterwards I can try the VNC route and see which works best for me and compare feature sets and so forth.
  3. I would have to learn about a "ports jail" which seems to lead to compiling packages and special compile switches. Being a FreeBSD and FreeNAS new comer this is likely too advanced for me to try alone. I would require a greater amount of assistance than I would need if I just used pre-compiled packages.
I went to the FreeBSD forms, but they just sent me away, saying I needed to make a sincere try here and if I go back to them I should have a good argument as to why the FreeBSD forums should help me.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A FreeNAS jail is essentially just a freebsd jail. Find any instructions for a freebsd install and it should work.

There's not really anything special about a FreeNAS jail at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.