Would these servers be good for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeSauvage

Cadet
Hi,

I Would like to build a small home server for managing Video content. Installing Plex, couchpotato...

I looked for local used server and I found these (all $100 each):
Dell Poweredge;
2850 rack mount 2U
2800 desktop
2650 rack mount 2U

IBM x3550 7978-AC1 (Xeon E5310 1.6Ghz/ 24gb ram) or (Xeon E5160 3.0Ghz and 24gb ram)

Note that I am not willing to pay $500 for the system itself. To start I want something cheap, used. For now I am running everything from my daily computer. ( i7-8700k, gtx 1080ti SLI 16gb ram)
I have 5x 4tb WD HDD ready to use.

What would you guys recommend me?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I looked for local used server and I found these (all $100 each):
Dell Poweredge;
2850 rack mount 2U
2800 desktop
2650 rack mount 2U
These are all too old. I wouldn't consider using them for anything at all.
IBM x3550 7978-AC1 Xeon E5160 3.0Ghz and 24gb ram
Might be usable but it is still quite old and would make more heat and noise and burn more power than something newer while still only providing minimal performance.
What would you guys recommend me?
Get one of these:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2155922&CatId=30

Upgrade the memory to 16GB. You might end up spending a little more than $500, but it will be a great system you can use for years.

LeSauvage

Cadet
Thank you for the quick reply.

I'll reconsider my budget and go ahead with something newer then

pschatz100

Guru
Keep in mind that rackmount systems will be louder than towers. Might be an issue for a home server.

If you shop diligently, You should be able to build a system for less than $500. I personally prefer Intel-based systems, IVY bridge architecture or newer. Yes, you CAN go older, but newer systems will be more energy efficient and generally easier to maintain.

If you are up to building from scratch, a Supermicro X9 or X10 board is a great choice, and well supported on the forums. The X9's especially can be had for very competitive prices. If you plan to use all five drives, make certain the case you choose can support that many.

LeSauvage

Cadet
I do not mind it being loud, I have a mining farm in my garage. Might aswell put the server there.

Thanks for your reply

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I do not mind it being loud, I have a mining farm in my garage. Might aswell put the server there.

Thanks for your reply
The HP tower I suggested is quiet. It is made to run in an office space instead of in a server farm. No matter where you put your NAS, you must keep the input air temperature low enough that the drives can stay under 40 °C. If the drives get too hot, they will die prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.