working build of FreeNAS 10 with NFS 4.1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks.

Currently I am fighting the never ending issue of trying to get performance out of FreeNAS boxes working as datastores for ESXi 5.5 hosts (NFS).

Long story short, now with NFS 4.1 support on ESXi 6, I'd try to see if there is hope for this case.

I am aware that v10 is far from ready, and I've seen all the warnings about builds and ISOs that might not run at all.

I just would like to know if someone would know of a build where NFS 4.1 and some basic functionality are working. So far, none of my installation attempts have worked at all, no matter if I tried a fresh install, upgrade of the USB stick, GUI based upgrade (manual or otherwise).

Lack of documentation on v10 (intentional, I am sure) is not helping either.

Could someone lend me a helping hand ?

A bit of a background (which I'll explain further on another thread), in the past I used an Isilon as datastore, getting decent but limited results. Next I moved to CentOS 7 + ZFS and results were better, but my team would not feel comfortable managing Linux boxes.

My next logical move was implementing FreeNAS, which I tested for a while, but, when I moved to production, would have a very poor performance. Testing v10 with NFS 4.1 will tell me is there is a future for this current configuration, or if I'll have to resort to other solutions.

Cheers.

D

dlavigne

10 is still in the pre-alpha stage and it will be a few months yet before it is buildable and testable. ATM most components haven't even been added in yet.

L

L

Hey, would you mind posting any info on vmware support for 4.1? 4.1 has been a fairly weak branch for many years. It would be surprising to me to have support for it. 4.1 has historically been pnfs. I will also go see if there has been any active development.

If there is demand for it, you should also add as a feature request and add any supporting documentation.

Never mind found it myself..

http://wahlnetwork.com/2015/02/02/nfs-v4-1/

I am updating my own post... NFS v4.1 needs a lot of work to be enterprise grade. When I was at sun they almost released 4.1 but then pulled back in.. the code should live in the illumos code base though

Still add to, or create a feature request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linda, DL, thank you for your replies.

@Linda Kateley , i will add a feature request, for the record.

With the release of ESXi 6, support to NFS 4.1 and MPIO (not pNFS, they say) casts a very different light to the subject of datastore performance on ESXi.

L

L

Linda, DL, thank you for your replies.

@Linda Kateley , i will add a feature request, for the record.

With the release of ESXi 6, support to NFS 4.1 and MPIO (not pNFS, they say) casts a very different light to the subject of datastore performance on ESXi.

I find this extremely interesting. After your post I did some digging and saw some 4.1 RFC's dated march 2015. Someone's working on this stuff..

I am really excited. I have always really liked 4.1.. It's weird that they can call it 4.1 and not pnfs, they are the same thing... but it sounds like they will only support a few features. Pnfs would be really interesting with zfs. ZFS would give the reliability features missing in most distributed filesystems(well ceph tries). I have a great weekend ahead coming back up to speed on 4.1.. Thanks!

zambanini

Patron
we had this a couple of times already in the forum. to make it short: nfs 4.1 will not be in freebsd 10. so not in freenas 10. freebsd 10.2(search in the forum..) might have it, but not sure if the thing that vspheres needs will be included.

RegularJoe

Patron
we had this a couple of times already in the forum. to make it short: nfs 4.1 will not be in freebsd 10. so not in freenas 10. freebsd 10.2(search in the forum..) might have it, but not sure if the thing that vspheres needs will be included.

NFS v4.1 is said to be in FreeBSD 10.3. In FreeNAS I am not seeing how the nfsd is loaded to see if it is in legacy mode or v4/4.1 mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.