WOL Alternative on Intel i210-AT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Explorer
Hello,

At first, I wanted to create a System where i can wake up my NAS with a (WOL) Windows Desktop Shotcut, but it seems like FreeBSD doesn't support WOL on Intel i210-A Adapter on my X11SSM-F?

Is there any way to enable Intel i210-A WOL feature on FreeNAS? Or is this impossible with FreeBSD Driver?

I know it's better to let it run 24/7, but for me it would be enough if it's usable from 18-24. 24/7 would be a waste of power in my case.

Would there be any other way to turn on the NAS with some kind of Windows (Desktop) Shotcut, or a Windows Script that activates the NAS if someones tries to connect to it (even when it's off)?

I know it's possible to turn it on using IPMI, but there now easy "1 Click -> On" Feature for Windows.

Would be really great if someone knew a way to get this working. Thank you!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
IPMI requires a login, so that might not give you the "one click" solution you are looking for. You could check the IPMI Utilities on the Supermicro website: https://www.supermicro.com/solutions/SMS_IPMI.cfm
There is some command line scripting capability with it that might give you what you want, but I have not used it, so I can't really say if it is there.

You might also check the settings on the board because Wake on LAN is probably just disabled in the BIOS (UEFI) because server boards are generally expected to run all the time but the thing that starts it is just a "magic packet" that any NIC can pickup if it is set to listen for it. The WOL signal just turns the system on and the system boots based on settings in the BIOS.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
[...] it seems like FreeBSD doesn't support WOL on Intel i210-A Adapter on my X11SSM-F?

Is there any way to enable Intel i210-A WOL feature on FreeNAS? Or is this impossible with FreeBSD Driver?

Unfortunately I don't know an answer to your question. If there's no way to accomplish that in FreeBSD and you already exploited all available BIOS options there might be a chance to configure that in Windows. That is if it is possible for you to (temporarily) install a Windows-Version on this machine which supports the i210-AT. Admittedly I do not know if the settings shown below would be permanent and survive a reboot into FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Getting to the point: I'm using a i210-T1 based NIC in my primarily used Windows Client-PC (hopefully close enough to the i210-AT on the X11SSM-F) and within the Windows Device Manager I'm seeing several APM (Advanced Power Management) configuration options (the formerly called "Wake on LAN" thing as the Intel documentation calls it [Product Brief]). In German these are called "Aktivierung bei Musterübereinstimmung", "Aktivierung bei Verbindung" and "Aktivierung über Magic Packet". As I already said I do not know if these settings survive a reboot into FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Windows 10 Device Manager screenshot (german OS version, hopefully nevertheless understandable)
DeviceManager_i210-T1_Properties.png

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The FreeBSD (FreeNAS) command is ifconfig igb0 wol. I think it's igb0 for that interface. However, the FreeBSD drivers might not support it. If it is supported, the output of ifconfig igb0 will show several WOL entries.

However, many people believe that the additional wear of startup and shutdown offsets power savings from not running full-time. This would depend on the hardware. Older hardware is far less power-efficient than newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.