SOLVED Wizard creates shares in backup volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorR

Contributor
Our NAS came preset with a SSD backup volume. The Wizard automatically creates shares inside of that volume

YwLtN2r.png

Is there a way to get the Wizard create shares in the other volume?

Also, I created a test CIFS share via Sharing>Windows (CIFS) Shares for our office, which is all Mac users (OS X 10.11.2)

I can connect and mount the volume via Finder (cifs://NAS-IP-Address).
But, when I select a share, it finder hangs, gives a "cannot connect" error and crashes

Is there a tutorial for setting up and using CIFS shares in a Mac-only environment?
There will be a few Windows machines in the office in the near future, so ifs seemed the better choice

VictorR

Contributor
That isn't a share.

No, sorry. That wasn't meant to show the misplaced share, I deleted it.
It was simply so people could see our backup volume

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The wizard creates shares wherever you tell it to. You don't have to use the wizard for anything.

VictorR

Contributor
The wizard creates shares wherever you tell it to. You don't have to use the wizard for anything.

I just wanted to try the Wizard to see how well it works. I just don't understand where it allows people to set a destination path. I thought maybe in the Share name field, but not so.

QuW7REn.png

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I just wanted to try the Wizard to see how well it works. I just don't understand where it allows people to set a destination path. I thought maybe in the Share name field, but not so.

QuW7REn.png
By default the wizard will create a share on your volume that you create in the wizard.

So if you tell it to create a share while you are creating your backups volume, it will share that volume.

It's really easy to understand actually. If you want more elaborate shares setups, don't use the wizard. If you don't want to share the volume you are creating, don't do it in the wizard.

I don't know why there is ANY confusion here.

VictorR

Contributor
By default the wizard will create a share on your volume that you create in the wizard.

So if you tell it to create a share while you are creating your backups volume, it will share that volume.
I don't know why there is ANY confusion here.

Aaaah, I get it now. Because our NAS shipped with FreeNAS installed and a backup volume already existing, the Wizard screen goes directly from Domain Name/Password to share creation (in the pre-exiting backup volume).
So, I 'd never seen the volume creation screen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.