Wireless Network Interface Suggestions, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3eastie

Dabbler
I'm putting together a FreeNAS box based on a HP Proliant Microserver.

I have an Edimax EW-7612PIN V2 wireless adapter that FreeNAS is not detecting.

I'd be enormously grateful if someone could point me to a cheap, wireless-N-compatible interface that is currently available (in the UK) and is supported by FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My suggestion: Give up on wireless right now. You're going to save yourself a lot of trouble. You can thank me later.

gpsguy

If you don't want to heed cyberjock's advice just add a wireless access point (or wireless router) to your network.

Depending on which microserver you'll will be using you might complain about performance on a wired network.

Btw, put 16gb ecc ram in it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The reason why I say give up is that there are technical limitations to using FreeNAS with wifi. Off the top of my head, there is no option to enable/disable encryption, enter the encryption key, wifi is unreliable and slow....etc. Several people have come to the forums trying to do that, and they end up giving up because it just won't work.

l3eastie

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies.

For clarification, I already have a wireless network and I am not proposing to attempt to configure the server as a wireless access point or router.

I simply want the server to connect to the network through a wireless interface, so I'm looking for a PCI card that will be supported by FreeNAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, what you want is an Intel Pro/1000 CT desktop Ethernet card and a WiFi adapter something like the Netgear WNCE2001.

obDisclosure: we're a Netgear partner. We won't sell you one. We've never even seen one of this model in the shop. This is not an endorsement, just a general direction to take for a workable strategy to get FreeNAS on wireless.

gpsguy

After I read jgreco's message, I remembered the Linksys equivalent - WGA600N.

I used them to network a pair of custom digital signage boxes. The devices only supported a wired connection and the organization couldn't run fixed network cables. Got LCD panels with a digital signage box and WiFi adapter velchroed to the back of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.