Wireless Configuration Intel 3160 WI-FI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziomek_pol

Cadet
Hi, i'm trying to configurate my freenas to work on wi-fi and bsd cannot recognize my wifi card.

Im new in BSD but there are few step's that i did and i should works but still not.

Code:
pciconv -lv

none5@pci0:3:0:0:	   class=0x028000 card=0x80708086 chip=0x08b38086 rev=0x83 hdr=0x00											
   vendor	 = 'Intel Corporation'																								
   device	 = 'Wireless 3160'																									
   class	  = network

I tried to add instructions from iwm and iwmfw from BSD wiki https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi...FreeBSD+11.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
to loader.conf but this changed nothing.

My /boot/loader.conf last lines of file:
Code:
#Intel Wi-fi configuration																										 
#Intel Network Driver																											   
if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm3160fw_load="YES" 

Also i noticed that my folder /boot/kernel didnt have enought .ko files so i downloaded them from BSD and added to /boot/kernel ,lodeaded by kldload . My directory list looks like:

Code:
ds3231.ko			   green_saver.ko		  ismt.ko				 prototype.ko			ums.ko							 
dtmalloc.ko			 gsched_delay.ko		 ispfw.ko				rain_saver.ko		   uplcom.ko						   
dtnfscl.ko			  gsched_rr.ko			IWM3160FW.KO			rsu-rtl8712fw.ko		urio.ko							 
dtrace_test.ko		  h_ertt.ko			   IWM7260FW.KO			runfw.ko				usb_quirk.ko						
dtrace.ko			   hwpmc.ko				IWM7265FW.KO			s35390a.ko			  usb_template.ko					 
dtraceall.ko			icee.ko				 IWM8000CFW.KO		   sdt.ko				  usb.ko							 
dummynet.ko			 ichsmb.ko			   IWN1000FW.KO			smb.ko				  usfs.ko							 
ehci.ko				 if_aue.ko			   IWN100FW.KO			 smbfs.ko				usie.ko							 
ext2fs.ko			   if_axe.ko			   IWN105FW.KO			 smbus.ko				uslcom.ko						   
fade_saver.ko		   if_axge.ko			  IWN135FW.KO			 snake_saver.ko		  uvisor.ko						   
fasttrap.ko			 if_cc.ko				IWN2000FW.KO			star_saver.ko		   uvscom.ko						   
fbt.ko				  if_ccv.ko			   IWN2030FW.KO			systrace_freebsd32.ko   viapm.ko							
fire_saver.ko		   if_cdce.ko			  IWN4965FW.KO			systrace_linux.ko	   vmm.ko							 
fuse.ko				 if_cue.ko			   IWN5000FW.KO			systrace_linux32.ko	 warp_saver.ko					   
g_audio.ko			  if_cxgb.ko			  IWN5150FW.KO			systrace.ko			 WLAN_ACL.KO						 
g_keyboard.ko		   if_cxgbe.ko			 IWN6000FW.KO			t3_tom.ko			   WLAN_AMRR.KO						
g_modem.ko			  if_cxgbev.ko			IWN6000G2AFW.KO		 t4_tom.ko			   WLAN_CCMP.KO						
g_mouse.ko			  if_cxl.ko			   IWN6000G2BFW.KO		 t4fw_cfg.ko			 WLAN_RSSADAPT.KO					
geom_bde.ko			 if_cxlv.ko			  IWN6050FW.KO			t5fw_cfg.ko			 WLAN_TKIP.KO						
geom_cache.ko		   if_ic.ko				jedec_ts.ko			 t6fw_cfg.ko			 WLAN_WEP.KO						 
geom_ccd.ko			 if_ipheth.ko			kernel				  toecore.ko			  WLAN_XAUTH.KO					   
geom_concat.ko		  IF_IWM.KO			   libiconv.ko			 u3g.ko				  WLAN.KO							 
geom_eli.ko			 IF_IWN.KO			   libmchain.ko			uark.ko				 WPIFW.KO							
geom_flashmap.ko		if_kue.ko			   linker.hints			ubsa.ko				 wsp.ko							 
geom_gate.ko			if_mos.ko			   linprocfs.ko			ubser.ko				WSP.KO							 
geom_journal.ko		 if_ntb.ko			   linsysfs.ko			 uchcom.ko			   xhci.ko							 
geom_label.ko		   if_rsu.ko			   linux_common.ko		 ucom.ko													 
geom_linux_lvm.ko	   if_rue.ko			   linux.ko				ucycom.ko												   
geom_mirror.ko		  if_rum.ko			   linux64.ko			  udbp.ko	

It's still not working so my last try was to add this to Freenas Tunables:
Variable Value Type Comment Enabled
if_iwm_load YES loader true
iwm3160fw_load YES loader true

I dont know what im doing wrong its not usb wifi. Had someone same problem? How to fix this :( ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
i'm trying to configurate my freenas to work on wi-fi
To the best of my knowledge, FreeNAS simply doesn't work over wifi. You must use a wired connection to your network.

Edit: The manual would have told you this:
At present, these are not supported: InfiniBand, FibreChannel over Ethernet, or wireless interfaces.

ziomek_pol

Cadet
To the best of my knowledge, FreeNAS simply doesn't work over wifi. You must use a wired connection to your network.

Edit: The manual would have told you this:
Thanks for replay+ but meybe if FreeNas is based on BSD there is any way to turn on the wifi interfaces (I was thinking that it's able to do) becouse when we go into shell we are on BSD OS so I think there should be anyway to do it. :(

scrappy

Patron
The way I understand it, there are simply no wireless drivers included in FreeNAS so nothing you try is going to work. Personally, I feel that a WiFi enabled FreeNAS server would be a horrible idea. But if you really need to connect your FreeNAS server over WiFi, buy a WiFi to Ethernet adapter. Something similar to this.

pschatz100

Guru
You can set up a WiFi bridge (sometimes referred to as a media bridge) and connect FreeNAS to the bridge via ethernet. That way, FreeNAS doesn't even know it is on a wireless network. If you choose your wireless devices carefully, and set things up properly, you can get 1Gb performance over the bridge (which will be as fast as typical wired performance.)

I have been running this way for over three years, without problem. For a file server or Plex media server, the performance will be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.