Wiping ada0 fails

P4#0383

Dabbler
Using an ATA RAID card to connect two Hitachi DeskStar SATA HDD, both drive are being seen in the RAID card.
And when booting to FreeNAS both drive are seeing by FreeNAS. However, when the drive are being added to a new pool, the wiping process always failed on ada0, independent of the drive attached. This is also the same drive recognized as drive 0 in the RAID card. I am starting to thing that might be a bug in the code while wiping drive 0 while attached to the RAID card. Please keep in mind that there are no VHDD created. After the wipe fails, the drive ada0 is removed from the pool and I can't see it any more. Contrary to, if, the drive is process through the RAID card, they are both wipe and configured in a RAID1 without any issues.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Wipe_Error.PNG
    Wipe_Error.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Drive_Location.PNG
    Drive_Location.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Recognized_Drives.PNG
    Recognized_Drives.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 179

Redcoat

MVP
Seems to me that it's likely that your "ATA Raid Card" isn't an HBA and the drives are not being presented to FreeNAS appropriately to manage.

P4#0383

Dabbler
Seems to me that it's likely that your "ATA Raid Card" isn't an HBA and the drives are not being presented to FreeNAS appropriately to manage.

Thank you for your response Redcoat. The card is not an HAB card, but shouldn't that affect both drives?
If you read above, it swapped the drive multiple times, only the one on ada0 keeps failing. With that said, keep in mind that only ada0 keeps failing.
If ada0 get swapped with ada1, now ada0, the wipe fails even knowingly, ada1 was wiped successfully while on ada1 but fails when on ada0.
This issue is not seeing when the drives are swapped via the SATA RAID card.

Any suggestions at this time?

Redcoat

MVP
Hmm...
I did not "get" the details on first reading. So, whatever drive is designated ada1 by FreeNAS is wiped and joins the pool, but whatever drive is designated ada0 is not wiped and fails to join the pool.
I guess you did look at the serial numbers of the drives in the pool and establish that the serial of ada1 in the pool changes each time you perform the swap over that you describe?
I can't comment on the details of the (non-)performance on non-HBA raid cards - hopefully someone with real-world experience of that will pick up this thread and comment for you on that aspect.

P4#0383

Dabbler
Thanks again for your quick response Redcoat/

Allow me to clarify, the firs round was swapping the drive on ada0 for a different drive. 5 drives went through ada0 and all of them getting the same error. After running out of drives, through FreeNAS, the same drives went through the RAID card. They were all read and wipe without any issues.
As last test, ada0 was swapped with ada1, after the swap, ada0 again failed to be wiped. RPL the drive with a different drive, wipe failed again. Moved drive on ada0 to ada1, ada1 was set aside the system on a different batch. Placed a new drive on ada0, ada1 was wiped successfully again, while ada0 failed. ada0 is attached to P1 and ada1 to P2 ports.

Both ends reported the updated SNs correctly. The SATA card as well as FreeNAS but, only the SATA card was able to wipe the drive attached to P1. On the FreeNAS side, the SN was updated successfully, wiped failed and disk was removed from the Disks listing. Out of a pile of 16 disks, some 6 Hitachis and 10 WDs, all of those attached to P1 (ada0) failed to be wiped.

Just for giggles, using the drives a RAID1 was created, still same effect. Funny part is, creating either RAID0 or 1, FreeNAS is unable to mount SiI. It seems that there is a bug with gpart or the python script. When creating a new pool using those drives, here is what I get:

======================= STACT STACK ERROR =======================

Error creating pool
[EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk ada0: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/ada0 failed (code 1): gpart: Device not configured
remove_circle_outlineMore info...

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 219, in wrapper
response = callback(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/api/resources.py", line 1421, in dispatch_list
request, **kwargs

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 450, in dispatch_list
return self.dispatch('list', request, **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 252, in dispatch
request_type, request, *args, **kwargs

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 482, in dispatch
response = method(request, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 1384, in post_list
updated_bundle = self.obj_create(bundle, **self.remove_api_resource_names(kwargs))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 2175, in obj_create
return self.save(bundle)

File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 493, in save
form.save()

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 282, in save
return False

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 279, in save
}, job=True)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 399, in call
return jobobj.result()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 172, in result
raise ClientException(job['error'], trace={'formatted': job['exception']})

middlewared.client.client.ClientException: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk ada0: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/ada0 failed (code 1):
gpart: Device not configured

======================= END STACK ERROR =======================

Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Well, thanks, but I'll confess to being even more confused...

I originally thought that you had a FreeNAS box with some number of HDD's connected to motherboard ports and the two SSD's connected to SATA ports on a RAID card plugged into the motherboard - all therefore all booted up and attempting to be configured and function simultaneously under FreeNAS.

Now, as you mention a "FreeNAS side", drives "through FreeNAS" and "through the RAID card", also "both ends" reporting serial numbers, I'm not so sure that my mental picture is correct.

Further, you refer to ada0 and ada1 as if they are physical ports on hardware - rather than the drive identifiers assigned by the OS at bootup time (AFAIK dependent on the order that they are recognized by the OS during the boot process). I'm still not sure the analysis is not being fuzzed up by this logical drive ID reference basis, rather than a per drive physical reference to a drive's behavior/outcome on a specific hardware (mobo or raid card) SATA port.

If you have the patience to give the handle another crank in the light of my comments, perhaps I'll get it.

Maybe if you give some hardware specs, particularly the motherboard, memory and spec of the raid card, there'll be some history to draw on here in the forum postings.

P4#0383

Dabbler
Thank you again for your feedback.

I understand your position and I get it can become confusing.
My hardware configuration is basic and running on some old hardware I had to spare.
Mobo: H61H2-AM3 V.1.0 15-EQ1-011000
MAINBOARD
Form Factor micro ATX
Processor Socket LGA1155 Socket
Compatible Processors Core i3
Chipset Type Intel H61 Express
Size 8 GB
Supported RAM Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Supported RAM Speed 10600
Supported RAM Integrity Check non-ECC

Syba 2-Port SATA I PCI Raid Controller Card Silicon Image Chipset SD-SATA150R
PCI Specification Revision 2.2 Compliant ; Supports 66MHz PCI with 32-bit data.
Compliant with programming interface for Bus Master IDE Controller Rev1.0
Supports Programmable and EEPROM, FLASH, & EPROM
48-bit sector addressing ; Serial ATA Specification Revision 1.0 compliant.
Virtual DMA Supported ; RAID 0,1 Supported
PCI SATA/eSATA Raid Controller Card

All drives are reported as ada (please see attached picture(s)). I am still perplex FreeNAS was failing to mount a stripe or mirror volume.
Given this was driving to deep and I didn't feel like deeping into the code, I just replaced the RAID card with a basic expansion SATA card.
Still I was able to find the answer by replacing the Syba PCI with an Adaptec RoHS PCIx card and now I can use the drives at my discretion.

Thnx for all your assist!!!!

Attachments

• Disks.PNG
    Disks.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 176

pschatz100

Guru
It is my understanding that FreeNAS does not work properly with raid cards... FreeNAS needs direct access to the disks. The documentation states this, as do many of the experienced forum participants. That is why the recommended cards have their firmware flashed.

Regardless of why, the system is not working properly with your raid card. What part of this does not make sense?

P4#0383

Dabbler
It is my understanding that FreeNAS does not work properly with raid cards... FreeNAS needs direct access to the disks. The documentation states this, as do many of the experienced forum participants. That is why the recommended cards have their firmware flashed.

Regardless of why, the system is not working properly with your raid card. What part of this does not make sense?

It seems to me that you did not understand the issue at hand. Perhaps you need to read again the issue.
The card was with the firmware disabled, still the disk at ada0 was RPORTED but still failed to access it properly.
The solution was to swap a PCIe card with PCIx.

I read the docs, that is why I was consulting with the community just in case I was missing something.
No need to be and arss!!!