Windows or unix permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeletedUser88470

I have had quite a lot of issues getting plex to work, so I figured I will start over instead, and make sure I am doing things as they are supposed.

I had my permissions settings selected to windows when creating my last dataset, but after a lot of reading, I am unsure if this was why I couldn't get access to my data through plex?

Should I only set the folders that will contain pc backups to windows permissions and set my media folder containing movies to unix?

Whould it be preferred to use only one type of permission for all datasets?

Many og the tutorials I have seen and read uses unix and still create smb shares, which I find odd?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have had quite a lot of issues getting plex to work, so I figured I will start over instead, and make sure I am doing things as they are supposed.

I had my permissions settings selected to windows when creating my last dataset, but after a lot of reading, I am unsure if this was why I couldn't get access to my data through plex?

Should I only set the folders that will contain pc backups to windows permissions and set my media folder containing movies to unix?

Whould it be preferred to use only one type of permission for all datasets?

Many og the tutorials I have seen and read uses unix and still create smb shares, which I find odd?

I don't see any reason to set "unix" permissions on an SMB share. The only exception to this rule _might_ be if an application that is not using the SMB protocol expects to be able to chmod a file.

D

DeletedUser88470

Would plex running from within a jail "expect" this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Would plex running from within a jail "expect" this?

You can test and see. The log messages are typically pretty clear when this becomes an issue:
Code:
root@DC00:/zroot/smbinfo # zfs set aclmode=restricted zroot/SAMBA_SHARE
root@DC00:/zroot/smbinfo # setfacl -m u:smb_user:full_set:fd:allow /zroot/SAMBA_SHARE/
root@DC00:/zroot/smbinfo # chmod 777 /zroot/SAMBA_SHARE/
chmod: /zroot/SAMBA_SHARE/: Operation not permitted

You're more likely to run into generic permission problems (i.e. the user that plex is running as not having read or write permissions to the directories it's wanting to use). I don't use plex and so I can't speak other than in very broad terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.