winbindd 100% cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim8634

Cadet
Hi Everyone

First post here despite using FreeNas for a while now. I'm using 8.3-RELEASE-p5 with AD enabled. A few days ago winbindd started swallowing 100% cpu. I simply rebooted the box and the problem went away (I've been running this for weeks and it's been fine up to then).

However the problem comes back every hour or so. The only way thing I'm able to do is kill the winbindd processes and restart the active directory service. Can anyone give me any pointers for debugging please?

Top just show the state as CPU0 etc. Nothing appears in the logs in /var/log and nothing shows up on the AD logs them selves.

Thanks a lot

Grim

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm using 8.3-RELEASE-p5 with AD enabled.

No you aren't. There is no 8.3-RELEASE-p5. That's the FreeBSD version. Since more than 1 version of FreeNAS is built on that version of FreeBSD that's not very helpful :P Don't worry.. common mistake.. just post what version you are actually using.

The latest release version is FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825).

grim8634

Cadet
Arr yes, sorry I did indeed just do a uname -a. The correct version is indeed FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825).

Thanks

Grim

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm.. how big is your AD domain? Do you have any trusts with other domains? Do you have any workgroups that have the same name as the domain? What is the OS of the AD domain server?

grim8634

Cadet
Yes, my initial googling pointed to similar things about a massive domain bur we have maybe 40 machines on it with only a similar number of users. No other domains or workgroups (other than perhaps the odd machine on the default windows workgroup). The only thing that is possibly slightly unusual is that the FreeNAS box has two IP's on different subnets. However the AD domain only lives on one of the subnets, but I've been running this setup for weeks and had no problems until this week.

grim8634

Cadet
Anyone got any other ideas where to look? It's a production box so I either need to figure out what's causing the issues or switch to an inferior storage solution :(

Status
Not open for further replies.