Win-7 can't map to FreeNAS 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg99

Cadet
Hello All... I installed FreeNAS, and the install seemed to go good. I can access the FreeNAS via browser. Under Sharing>Windows (CIFS) I can see the path and name, however when in Windows-7 File Explorer I can not map to the FreeNAS box. When I select Map Network Drive in Windows, then Browse, the FreeNAS entry is listed, with a sub folder, but the mapping function returns an error saying it cannot access the \\FREENAS\homes location. (don't remember setting up a "homes" folder)

I likely have some FreeNAS settings wrong, but have no idea which ones. Can anyone offer some assistance in getting it mapped?

Thank you...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You probably just checked to box under cifs service for home shares. That works differently and you want to create a new share under the sharing section of the GUI.

Larryg99

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how that gets me to seeing the FreeNAS in Windows, but I went ahead and deleted the previous Windows Share, then created a new one. Did not see any options for setting anything about "homes" when setting up the new share. After deleting and adding, there was still no change in mapping the FreeNAS. Is there any way, other than reinstall, to wipe out previous settings and maybe get a fresh start? Is there such a thing on FreeNAS as Restart in Windows? Is restarting FreeNAS necessary after making changes to settings?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Is there such a thing on FreeNAS as Restart in Windows? Is restarting FreeNAS necessary after making changes to settings?
You can click the Reboot button in the FreeNAS GUI, or choose the Reboot option from the console menu. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean reset all settings (Factory Restore button or Reset to factory defaults console option)?

Larryg99

Cadet
Robert... thanks for the reply. I did find the Reboot function in the GUI. That was one part of my question. The second part (aside from not being able to map to the drive, which was my main concern) was the action of resetting everything (all settings) and start from scratch again. However, given that the unit boots up just fine, and I can log on to the GUI easily, indicates to me (the novice) that something must be wrong in the way I set up the Volume maybe.

As I indicated above, the GUI works fine, which indicated to me that the system itself is set up right, but I can't map to the unit. Just about any combination of addresses I enter into the Windows Map Network Drive>Folder function, returns an error message of not being able to connect. I can even use the Browse function, and it lists "FREENAS" as an option under my Network, but when I utilize that Browse function, that's where the "homes" sub-folder is displayed (which I don't recall entering or selecting anywhere during the initial install). Selecting the path to FREENAS/homes returns the same unable to access message as when I enter any address manually (including the 192.168.1.40 address of the unit itself).

The Path and Name that is displayed when viewing the Sharing option is: Path "/nmt/FreeNas_1", and the Name is "FreeNAS_Server". In Sharing I am using Windows (CIFS), and the Storage Volume Name is "FreeNas_1", then sub to that on the next line is "FreeNas_1", then sub to that on the third line is "Larry_FreeNAS". And, under the Services tab, CIFS is set to ON (all other switches except S.M.A.R.T) are set to OFF.

Also, I think I recall one of the instructional resources I researched indicated something about the name of something set during the install must be the same as the host network. I can't seem to find anything related to setting, or changing, the host network information. I have no idea if I set it to match my local network. Entering the IP address of the unit in a browser gets me to the unit, be entering the same address in the Windows Mapping function produces an unable to access error. I don't understand why.

This unit is being used on my home network, and I will be the only user, so I don't need any sophisticated groups, permissions, etc. I wish there was somewhere I could get the plain vanilla envelope settings for the normal joe like me to , using Windows like millions of others, and just wanting a simple straightforward setup. Many of the instructional articles and videos seem to leave out the specifics in an attempt to address multiple situations and levels of complexities.

Thanks...

Larryg99

Cadet
UPDATE: Made some changes (actually about a hundred trying to get this thing working) and now when attempting to map to the unit I get the attached message.
upload_2015-3-29_16-24-36.png

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
There's a long thread elsewhere started by someone who was having similar problems. Several members went around in circles for several pages to try to help, and it turned out to be problem with the firewall settings in his router (Googling the error message you posted always turns up firewall issues as one potential cause). So, you may have a different problem, but start by temporarily disabling all security in Windows and your router. Also, make sure the user name and password you're using to access the share match the credentials for the FreeNAS user that owns the dataset you're sharing.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
And install the latest FreeNAS update, because there was a CIFS problem in a recent version.

Larryg99

Cadet
Robert... excellent thought about the firewall. I use Norton 360. I temporarily disabled it and tried again, but there was no change. Same error message. Regarding the update, I'm using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502271818. When I went to System>Update>Check Now, and message was returned indicating "Update Server could not be reached".
I'll try and search for that thread you reference.

Larryg99

Cadet
Robert... I reviewed the info on the link, and it sounds exactly like my problem. So... the resolution that solved his problem was a setting in his router. Of course, the story of my life, the resolution he applied (hierarchy of connected devices) didn't appear to be an option on MY router (Netgear N900). Router is current on updates. I can see the Freenas box listed as connected (wired), and status is set to "Allowed" within the router admin screens.

Now, In addition to numerous devices on the network, including 2 laptops, 2 desktops, and numerous wifi devices, there appears to be some connection issues with at least one of the desktops. Desktop 2 can see desktop 1, but desktop 1 can not see desktop 2. Laptop 1 can see both desktops, but neither desktops can see laptops. So... something is out of sync with some of the devices on my network, in spite of each indication sharing is turned on, so I think its a safe assumption that networking is my issue with the NAS box. However... I struggle with networking issues. Most times its just trial and error getting things to work, and when that doesn't work, I just do without. I guess it's time to get this worked out once and for all, or I guess the new NAS box will just be a paperweight.

Anyone on the board that can direct me to a resource for getting this worked out? Perhaps at this point deleting the entire network and setting it up from scratch as if it were the first time I was setting up a network might be in order here. Anyone know of a way to completely delete any and all remnants of the existing network, such that I can be sure there are no preexisting issue interfering with the new setup?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Robert... I reviewed the info on the link, and it sounds exactly like my problem.
And even if your problem is different, the thread goes over lots of things that you can check for and eliminate.
Anyone on the board that can direct me to a resource for getting this worked out?
I'm no expert with networking, but I can tell you that the KISS principle will be your friend. I was having intermittent network issues that went away when I reconfigured my wireless router to bridge mode, also known as access point or AP mode. This is not the default with most routers, even though most cable and DSL modems provide DHCP and NAT. Most home networks end up with double NAT and not infrequently, DHCP conflicts (the latter is becoming less common as routers are smarter about picking what address range to use for DHCP). Apple routers will warn you about double NAT but let you go ahead and configure it anyway if you insist.

Larryg99

Cadet
Robert... I don't know exactly what I did... but I'm in, and mapped. Can't believe it !
I have been working for hours and hours over several days to get this thing working to no avail. However, I came home today, spent about 10-minutes trying what I thought to be some of the same things I had tried before, and bam, I was in. The only thing I think that was different today was... a couple of by Bitcoin miners shut down, and when I brought them back online they were assigned new IP addresses. In turn, that changed the IP address of the NAS unit. When I tried mapping to it today, I was getting some different indications that it might let me in, but it seemed to be hanging up on the password. So I went in to Users and saw there was no password entered into my user name screen. Once I entered the password, saved it, and tried again... bam, it worked. I am now able to create folders, copy data, the works. I'm a happy guy !

So... for those that may be having similar issues, I think my recommendations would be to cycle off your router and let it assign new IP addresses to your equipment. Might work, might not, but getting new IP addresses to MY equipment seemed to do the trick, because that's about all I did today. Now I didn't actually cycle my router, but the miners reconnecting shuffled the other IP addresses around, including the NAS unit.

A big thanks to you for your efforts !

Status
Not open for further replies.