Will it ESXI and FreeNAS fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uokrol

Dabbler
Hey all, building my first ESXi with FreeNAS pretty soon. I purchased this r710 for $50 a while back and will be taking it apart to build. Just seeing if it would work fine. Motherboard will be purchased separately since I don't want to use the server chassis.

Case: Corsair 750d
cpu: 2x Xeon E6520
Ram: 48GB ddr3 1066mhz ECC registered
motherboard: X8DTL-IF (is this a good motherboard?)
psu: TBD
HBA: Perc h310
HDD: (5) 2tb hdd and (2) 8tb hdd

Back story: I was going to use this as my VM server and build another rig for FreeNAS, but am on a very tight budget, so I thought, why not just throw FreeNAS on a VM like some people here. I'm not too experienced with ESXi, but I've been touching and testing with it the past few weeks. It'll be a good way to learn also. I won't be using FreeNAS until maybe a month down the line until i can trust myself with ESXi.

I was thinking to use the 2 8tb as a mirror and house my backups, the backups for that backup will be housed at my parents house. The other drives I will be using a RAIDZ2 for network shares. The shares will all be backed up to the backup share via backupassistant. I downloaded the trial and it works great, but will be purchasing it later down the road when my testing is done. If anyone has a better software, let me know.

On the other VMs that i will be creating is a domain setup. Currently running a windows server right now with consumer hardware to test around so I'm pretty familiar with it. All in all, I will have around 4-5 VMs (2 will be dc and FreeNAS, others would be labs/test).

Would this be a good setup for what I want to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

joeinaz

Contributor
If you are going X8, the X8DTE may be a better choice as it will support both E5500 and E5600 CPUs and host more memory. The down side to the X8DTE is it's an E-ATX form factor and needs a larger case. BTW, what is your budget? I can recommend better solutions if I know what you want to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeinaz

Contributor
Actually, did a closer look at the E5520 and the E5640 Xeon and there is not that much difference in performance between the E5520, and the E5640 or the E5540. The biggest benefit of the X8DTE is the 12 DIMMs slots vs 6 on X8DTL. With the X8DTE, you can run with one CPU and use 6 DIMMs slots (half the total of 12) versus the X8DTL which will need both CPUs to use all 6 DIMM slots. If you are not concerned about heat and cooling the X8DTL is a good board as it will fit in a cheaper ATX case. Also, don't forget the fans for the CPUs. Fans for my X8 were hard to find in my local store. I picked up some Cooljag fans model BOS-D.

uokrol

Dabbler
If you are going X8, the X8DTE may be a better choice as it will support both E5500 and E5600 CPUs and host more memory. The down side to the X8DTE is it's an E-ATX form factor and needs a larger case. BTW, what is your budget? I can recommend better solutions if I know what you want to spend.

Whoops, I was looking at both boards and the x8dte was the one i was looking to purchase, hence the 750d case. I really don't have a budget, but I want to spend the least amount of money and use what I already have. Currently have the cpu, ram, hdd, and hba card. Thanks for the input.

Inxsible

Guru
motherboard: X8DTL-IF (is this a good motherboard?)
If you are tied down by some of the parts that you already have, then any motherboard that allows a fit is a good motherboard. The X8 series is a bit old in the tooth, but still a great board for home application NAS. Plus you have 2x CPUs which means that you can do a whole lot more than just FreeNAS since you will have the processing power. But it depends on your use case. What exactly do you intend to use this machine for now and for the next 5 odd years other than the 5 VMs? How much resources do you intend to give to each VM? Will they be shared resources or dedicated resources?
If you are going X8, the X8DTE may be a better choice as it will support both E5500 and E5600 CPUs and host more memory.
I doubt that matters, because @uokrol already has the CPUs
The biggest benefit of the X8DTE is the 12 DIMMs slots vs 6 on X8DTL
That's not a benefit unless you can say with certainty that @uokrol needs the 12 DIMMs of RAM. If he is going to use it as a basic file server, even 8GB of RAM(bare minimum for FreeNAS) will be sufficient.
With the X8DTE, you can run with one CPU and use 6 DIMMs slots (half the total of 12) versus the X8DTL which will need both CPUs to use all 6 DIMM slots.
Again that's not a benefit. Both boards run half the total number of DIMMs. It's just that X8DTL has a total of 6 DIMMs and X8DTE has a total of 12. But again, does @uokrol need the 12 DIMMs? AFAIK, there are very very few dual or multiprocessor boards, if any, that run ALL DIMMs on just 1 CPU.
I really don't have a budget, but I want to spend the least amount of money and use what I already have
That is not helpful though. Define "least amount of money". I can suggest a system under $300 or I can suggest a system around $100K for you. You might be made of money and $100K might be pittance for you.

uokrol

Dabbler
If you are tied down by some of the parts that you already have, then any motherboard that allows a fit is a good motherboard. The X8 series is a bit old in the tooth, but still a great board for home application NAS. Plus you have 2x CPUs which means that you can do a whole lot more than just FreeNAS since you will have the processing power. But it depends on your use case. What exactly do you intend to use this machine for now and for the next 5 odd years other than the 5 VMs? How much resources do you intend to give to each VM? Will they be shared resources or dedicated resources?

I doubt that matters, because @uokrol already has the CPUs

That's not a benefit unless you can say with certainty that @uokrol needs the 12 DIMMs of RAM. If he is going to use it as a basic file server, even 8GB of RAM(bare minimum for FreeNAS) will be sufficient.

Again that's not a benefit. Both boards run half the total number of DIMMs. It's just that X8DTL has a total of 6 DIMMs and X8DTE has a total of 12. But again, does @uokrol need the 12 DIMMs? AFAIK, there are very very few dual or multiprocessor boards, if any, that run ALL DIMMs on just 1 CPU.

That is not helpful though. Define "least amount of money". I can suggest a system under $300 or I can suggest a system around $100K for you. You might be made of money and $100K might be pittance for you.

Thanks for the reply. Pretty much what I'm saying is that if I don't HAVE to spend money, i won't. If this setup works fine, i would not want to spend money on something that would run better. I'm already going to be spending $150 on the case and $130 on the mobo. So if you can find me a cpu + mobo for around $130 that would be better than this dual cpu setup, i'm all for it. But if I have to spend an extra $100 for just a step up, it's just not worth it to me. Plus remember, I will be running esxi with multiple VM so the extra cores would help.

Inxsible

Guru
I'm already going to be spending $150 on the case and $130 on the mobo.
Why? Which motherboard came with the R710? Is it a proprietary form factor that you cannot use in some other case?
So if you can find me a cpu + mobo for around $130 that would be better than this dual cpu setup, i'm all for it. But if I have to spend an extra $100 for just a step up, it's just not worth it to me. Plus remember, I will be running esxi with multiple VM so the extra cores would help.
$130 bucks for motherboard and dual CPU might be a bit tough unless you are fine with going much older generation which I doubt you'd want.

1. I'd say use server as is. You can always stand it up so it doesn't look like a server chassis. You haven't provided a link to your server, so I am assuming it is at least 2U and that all 7 drives will fit in it. There is zero cost associated with this option
  2. Or use the board that came with the server as long as it is not a proprietary form factor. Even if it is, you might still be able to fit it in an E-ATX chassis as long as the dimensions are below the standard E-ATX dimensions.

uokrol

Dabbler
Why? Which motherboard came with the R710? Is it a proprietary form factor that you cannot use in some other case? $130 bucks for motherboard and dual CPU might be a bit tough unless you are fine with going much older generation which I doubt you'd want.

1. I'd say use server as is. You can always stand it up so it doesn't look like a server chassis. You haven't provided a link to your server, so I am assuming it is at least 2U and that all 7 drives will fit in it. There is zero cost associated with this option
  2. Or use the board that came with the server as long as it is not a proprietary form factor. Even if it is, you might still be able to fit it in an E-ATX chassis as long as the dimensions are below the standard E-ATX dimensions.

As stated in my OP, it is a r710 2U. It's huge, heavy, and loud so I don't want it on 24/7, that's why i am getting a new case which will be the corsair 750d, and new motherboard to fit in the case. I'm pretty much swapping over the cpu and ram. Never ran the r710 before with esxi so don't know if it'll run fun. I guess I can spin it up and test it *(duh) and if it works fine, I will begin my purchase.

Inxsible

Guru
As stated in my OP, it is a r710 2U.
I saw that you said it was R710, but I still don't see a 2U in your original post. Maybe R710 only come in 2U -- If so, I didn't know that.
It's huge, heavy, and loud so I don't want it on 24/7,
Huge and heavy -- I can't change. But loud can be changed by simply using better/quieter fans from Noctua. Scripts to run fans only when needed etc etc. Also, no matter what case you buy, once you add your drives, your case will be heavy and it's not like you will be moving the case every time you see it.
that's why i am getting a new case which will be the corsair 750d, and new motherboard to fit in the case
You haven't answered what form factor the current motherboard is...maybe it might fit in your new case.
Never ran the r710 before with esxi so don't know if it'll run fun. I guess I can spin it up and test it *(duh) and if it works fine, I will begin my purchase.
Sounds like a plan.

uokrol

Dabbler
I saw that you said it was R710, but I still don't see a 2U in your original post. Maybe R710 only come in 2U -- If so, I didn't know that.

Huge and heavy -- I can't change. But loud can be changed by simply using better/quieter fans from Noctua. Scripts to run fans only when needed etc etc. Also, no matter what case you buy, once you add your drives, your case will be heavy and it's not like you will be moving the case every time you see it.

You haven't answered what form factor the current motherboard is...maybe it might fit in your new case.

Sounds like a plan.

Ok looks like you've never seen the most popular server in the history of ebay lol. Anyways, it weighs at least 80lbs. I don't know the form factor, but it is made for the chassis and I would not want to use it. Here's a google pic for reference.

it_photo_134600.jpg

joeinaz

Contributor
Inxsible,

My recommendation of the X8DTE is based on the application being ESXi. In an ESXi environment, the X8DTE offers the following benefits:

More DIMM slots: In ESXi, memory is usually the limiting factor. More DIMM slots means I can save money two ways: First, by giving the option to buy more smaller (and cheaper) memory sticks (6x4GB vs 3x8GB for example). This difference is very apparent when when you look at higher capacity DIMMs (16GB for example). The second way to save money is the requirement for fewer CPUs to get to a certain memory level. In this case, if he has purchased 48GB of memory, it's likely he purchased six 8GB DIMMs. On the X8DTL, the deployment of TWO CPUs will be REQUIRED to access all 48GB of his RAM. On the X8DTE, his 48GB of RAM (6x 8GB) can be deployed with only ONE CPU. This saves the cost of a CPU and fan and the power required to run the system. Finally, should there ever be a need to expand the memory on the X8DTL, existing DIMMs will need to be replaced and that investment is lost. On the X8DTE, simply add a second CPU and add to existing memory to preserve the original investment.

Xeon 5600 series support: CPU is usually the next limiting factor with ESXi. Typically, more cores are better. The Xeon 5500 series supports a maximum of 4 cores per socket while the Xeon 5600 series supports up to 6 cores. If I find ESXi, FreeNAS and my VMs require more than 5 core of resources, a second CPU will be required with the 5500. If your resource need goes beyond 8 cores, the X8DTL motherboard is a limiting factor. The X8DTE supports both 5500 and 5600 series therefore it's possible to start with a 5500 series CPU and upgrade to a 5600 CPU. Xeon 5xxx CPUs are available on eBay for less than $10 so you won't break the bank.

Finally to be fair, the X8DTE does cost more in two areas. First, it requires an E-ATX case. A new ATX case can be found for less than $35. A new E-ATX case usually starts at over $100. Secondly, the X8DTE has a requirement for TWO 8 pin motherboard power connectors. Server power supplies with dual 8 pin motherboard connectors are expensive compared to a standard desktop power supply. The good news is there a cable that takes a standard 4 pin power plug and converts it to an 8 pin motherboard cable to save money.

joeinaz

Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Pretty much what I'm saying is that if I don't HAVE to spend money, i won't. If this setup works fine, i would not want to spend money on something that would run better. I'm already going to be spending $150 on the case and $130 on the mobo. So if you can find me a cpu + mobo for around $130 that would be better than this dual cpu setup, i'm all for it. But if I have to spend an extra $100 for just a step up, it's just not worth it to me. Plus remember, I will be running esxi with multiple VM so the extra cores would help.

There is currently an X8DTE on eBay for $89. The next is to locate a deal on an E-ATX case. BTW, I just finished a corporate test with an X8DTE installed in a Lian Li case and now I have 3 FreeNAS systems and I may soon get rid of at least one of them.

Inxsible

Guru
More DIMM slots: In ESXi, memory is usually the limiting factor
Limiting factor for what ? If you are using 20+VMs then yes you would probably need more than 48GB of RAM, but if you are using just 3-5 VMs it could be sufficient. Don't need to have a board that can support a megaton of RAM when you don't need it.

Your point regarding the CPU is moot because the OP already has 2 CPUs and wants to build around that.

uokrol

Dabbler
There is currently an X8DTE on eBay for $89. The next is to locate a deal on an E-ATX case. BTW, I just finished a corporate test with an X8DTE installed in a Lian Li case and now I have 3 FreeNAS systems and I may soon get rid of at least one of them.

I will be buying the Corsair 750D, mentioned it maybe 3 times already. I will also be buying the x8dte instead of the one I posted. The r710 came with 12 sticks of 4gb modules so that would help.

joeinaz

Contributor
I will be buying the Corsair 750D, mentioned it maybe 3 times already. I will also be buying the x8dte instead of the one I posted. The r710 came with 12 sticks of 4gb modules so that would help.

I didn't know you had actually purchased the Corsair case. It's a nice case but the only issue I see is that case seems to immediately support (and has trays for) six 3.5" disks and you have seven 3.5" disks in your configuration description. There are E-ATX cases that hold 8 or more 3.5" disks that are in your price range I can recommend.

If you are committed to the Corsair 750D, the only other things you will need is a power supply and something to hold your 7th 3.5" disk. EVGA makes a power supply with dual 8 pin ATX connectors for less than $100. The other option is a separate adapter cable. Are you planning to go beyond one additional disk? Do you want removable access for all 7 disks?

uokrol

Dabbler
I didn't know you had actually purchased the Corsair case. It's a nice case but the only issue I see is that case seems to immediately support (and has trays for) six 3.5" disks and you have seven 3.5" disks in your configuration description. There are E-ATX cases that hold 8 or more 3.5" disks that are in your price range I can recommend.

If you are committed to the Corsair 750D, the only other things you will need is a power supply and something to hold your 7th 3.5" disk. EVGA makes a power supply with dual 8 pin ATX connectors for less than $100. The other option is a separate adapter cable. Are you planning to go beyond one additional disk? Do you want removable access for all 7 disks?

I didn't purcahse it yet, but planning on it. I like how it looks and they sell expandable cages for more hdd. I will search for that power supply since I will need one. Thanks for the suggestion.

joeinaz

Contributor
I did a bit of research on E-ATX cases, bought (and returned) one before settling on another. One held 10 disks internally the other holds 12. On the power supply, I went the cheap route and got a 4 pin to 8 pin ATX power supply converter cable and used my cheap(er) power supply that I already had.

Kerat

Cadet
Lmk how it turns out. I am building an ESXi 6.5 vmhost with a Freenas vm (with pass through to an LSI 9207-8i HBA). The only difference for me will be that all my equipment is new prosumer grade except RAM (I went DDR2400 ECC), NIC (4 port Intel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uokrol

Dabbler
Lmk how it turns out. I am building an ESXi 6.5 vmhost with a Freenas vm (with pass through to an LSI 9207-8i HBA). The only difference for me will be that all my equipment is new prosumer grade except RAM (I went DDR2400 ECC), NIC (4 port Intel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have most of the parts in except for the power supply and my 2tb drives. I purchased the X8DTH-iF board instead of what was mentioned. Have ESXI running pretty good and (3) vm's so far. I've tested esxi before and freenas too so I knew how to get it running pretty quick. Hardware installation took about 4-5 hours and creating the vm and configuring them took about 2 days on and off. Running server 2012 as DC, freenas, and pfsense so far. Removed my wireless router and set it to AP mode also.

I have my 1tb drives in there right now and am getting 105MB/s +/- 20MB/s. I'm pretty happy everything worked out great! The only problem I had was with my DC. Created a VM to promote the new DC, but had tons of issues transferring the roles over to it, so I just created a domain and started from scratch. I wasn't too worried since it's just a home network.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Here's a few pics. Don't mind the power supply, a new one is on the way already. Also, I had nothing to stick the fan unto the heatsink of the Raid card so I rubberbanded it on LOL. Time to go get some double sided tape to stick it to the heatsink.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 288
Status
Not open for further replies.