SOLVED Will IBM EXP3000 allow direct pass through to HBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brezlord

Contributor
Hi all,
I would like to know if the IBM EXP3000 (FRU 39R6545) 12 x 3.5" disk array will allow direct pass through to a HBA for FreeNAS? It only has SAS connectors and is marketed as an expansion model.

Link to eBay listing.

Thanks,
Simon

Last edited:

Pezo

Explorer
I would like to know as well...

Arwen

MVP
Since it has only 1 SAS in connection, it likely has a SAS expander built in. This is generally a good thing. EXCEPT if it's SAS version 1 which has a 2TB disk size limitation. So, those buying second hand equipment, check that specific item, if it has a SAS expander, is it version 1? If so, understand the disk size limitation.

PS. The disk size limitation means any disk larger than 2TB will only have 2TB addressable.

EXCEPT if it's SAS version 1 which has a 2TB disk size limitation.

SAS1 doesn't have a 2TB size limit, it depends on the device, while it's possible it's not certain, I use some external 5 disk SAS1 enclosures that have no problem with >2TB disks.

Arwen

MVP
If I understand correctly, it's the SAS expander chip that has the limitation. SAS expander chips are between the disks and the host bus adapter.

So, SAS expanders also do the SATA to SAS protocol encapsulation, (if you use any SATA disks or SSDs). But, if a SATA device is directly connected to the host bus adapter, then then HBA port turns it's self into a SATA port.

If I understand correctly, it's the SAS expander chip that has the limitation. SAS expander chips are between the disks and the host bus adapter.

Again it will depend on the expander, since SAS1 expanders are old tech it's possible they have that limit, but not all of them will, my external enclosures have a SAS1 expander without that limit.

Pezo

Explorer
I got an EXP3000 and it recognizes 6TB and 8TB SATA disks when connected to an LSI 9207-4i4e SAS2 HBA.
I haven't actually tried reading from them yet, though. Is it even possible for the disks to be recognized as 6TB but only have 2TB usable?

Pezo

Explorer
Tried it, everything is working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.