Will a NUC6CAYH be a poor choice for FreeNAS as a back-up destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjain

Dabbler
I have a 4TB disk drive and I'd like to place this NUC at my family's house and have a third or fourth back-up destination of my most important data as family photos. I already have the 4TB disk from a previous build and the rest of the equipment would cost me around €140, so not that much.

I'm considering going for either FreeNAS, Linux or XPenology. FreeNAS looks great, but my only concern is that I've heard it can destroy your data when it reads corrupt data from your RAM, e.g. possible when you have non-ECC memory. I can up the budget a little, I have around 3 spare 4TB disks, but 4TB should be more than enough and I already have a great primary back-up destination.

Capacity/Power isn't very important, but data integrity kind of is, even though it's only the 3rd back-up destination. Power consumption is also important, so a X5660 would be too much (>100 watt per month). Although a home-build for <$200 would be much cooler than the $165/€140 NUC-build.

Artion

Patron
Hi, having only a drive for your important data is your single point of failure. If it dies, you loose everything. So for that box ECC memory must not be your only concern. For data redundancy you need at least 2 drives in mirror.
As for power consumption, using 2.5" drives could save you some power. There are also mini-itx solutions that support ECC and aren't power hungry.

ujjain

Dabbler
Ideas of an affordable low-power-consumption hardware solution with ECC-memory support then?

As I just lost my OneDrive back-ups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzk1IPBNTU4 I'm not a big fan of uploading my data to the cloud either. Fortunately I don't need them and have back-ups at many other places, but still.

Artion

Patron
Last edited:

ujjain

Dabbler
Thanks, I found out it wouldn't fit my 3,5" sata disks either, so no good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.