Why won't a Dell R710 3.5 make a good FreeNAS box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

Dabbler
I've been toying around with a leftover server that happened to have an 8 drive cage and an array controller that does jbod. Have had Freenas installed for a few weeks. Problem is, hardware is old and I keep running into stumbling blocks trying to get really good performance out of it.

Recently I bought a Dell R710 for 377 bucks on eBay with 48GB of memory and a few 2.5" hd's and built a nice ESXi system.

I'm now looking to build a decent freenas box and keep coming back to used Dell server hardware as a possibility. Every time I try to spec a system on 2nd or 3rd gen older hardware it keeps exceeding the cost of a decent R710. I'd probably buy one with 6 3.5 drives since I don't want to get stuck in the 2.5" world. It didn't seem like there were enough cost effective upgrade options in 2.5". I even have an IBM Server Raid card that I wasn't able to use in my older hardware that could go right into a Dell system.

My needs are for 8-12TB (which includes growth) and also the ability to tinker with 10GB. That's easily handled with a R710 and with 16-32GB of memory and no HD's are probably under 300 bucks. I can't buy a MB, CPU & Memory much less a HDD capable case, ps, network, ipmi etc for that amount.

Use is to hold a mirror of local site server data .8-1.2TB (with growth), Backups of local site data 1.2-2.0TB (with growth) and a mirror of 2nd site data 6-8TB (with growth). Put one on either side of my 1GB fios and stop using cloud backup (250/year + sell my existing NAS another $200-300 and a few other gadgets I've got lying around and I've basically paid for it.

On my ESXi box I specifically bought a Gen II MB on the Dell so I could upgrade the CPU's to X56xx cpu's for more power, but I don't think FreeNAS would really need that. I did read someplace where some were not crazy about the 710 series for FreeNAS but I'm not seeing where it's terribly bad. I think there was something about non i series CPU's being a bottleneck for FreeNAS? That might be the only thing that stopped me, but honestly I'd spend more trying to put together a system any other way.

Another downside is that they are not the most energy efficient servers or cpu's so I'd pay a bit more for energy use.

Interested in what you have to say.

Roveer

geekmaster64

Explorer
I definitely would do that, those boxes are great and have a great track-record. There are models with the 12 bay LFF R710 (and as a R510 as well for less...) that would work out really well for that purpose. I would recommend trading out the PERC for a nice HBA adapter.

Good Luck man! :) Glad to see someone else has the idea of using slightly older servers that are still quite powerful and effective.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I definitely would do that, those boxes are great and have a great track-record. There are models with the 12 bay LFF R710 (and as a R510 as well for less...) that would work out really well for that purpose. I would recommend trading out the PERC for a nice HBA adapter.

Good Luck man! :) Glad to see someone else has the idea of using slightly older servers that are still quite powerful and effective.
Have you been looking at the recent discussions on the forum? Memory prices being what they are, I have been recommending older systems exclusively.
Socket 1366 burn more power and make more heat than I like, but they are fine. Socket 2011 with a v2 Xeon E5 are better.
The problem with many of the Dell and HP systems is the integration of hardware that is not supported. Hardware RAID cards and the like.
If you are interested in a system, post a link and I will be happy to give it a look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Maelos

Explorer
My biggest worry for you is the space for drives. A used storage-focused chassis will have room for now and room to spare for future drives. Only having 6-8 slots in a Dell server and taking into account how FreeNAS does not allow dynamic disk additions to vDevs may make for pain or more cost in the future. The being said, the abundance and reliability of 710s are nice, it just depends on your use case. I'd use a RAID/ZFS calculators to figure out the size of the arrays you can put in the chassis and make sure you read up on ZFS pools, vDevs, etc.

Roveer

Dabbler
My biggest worry for you is the space for drives. A used storage-focused chassis will have room for now and room to spare for future drives. Only having 6-8 slots in a Dell server and taking into account how FreeNAS does not allow dynamic disk additions to vDevs may make for pain or more cost in the future. The being said, the abundance and reliability of 710s are nice, it just depends on your use case. I'd use a RAID/ZFS calculators to figure out the size of the arrays you can put in the chassis and make sure you read up on ZFS pools, vDevs, etc.

Good points. I've been looking at chassis and pretty much everything doubles my cost or more. I think for the foreseeable future (3-5 years) my data use would fit nicely in the 10TB range of a 6 drive (3tb/drive) arrangement. Problem is, if I go after a larger enclosure I'm looking at double or triple the cost for base hardware. Something I'm just not ready to do now.
You do make a good point about expandability. If I have to re-build in the future 10TB is an awful lot of data to have to move around no matter how you look at it.

I still think that form factor is right for me at this time but I'll continue to search alternatives.

Roveer

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I still think that form factor is right for me at this time but I'll continue to search alternatives.
Here is some good reading to tell you more about how ZFS and FreeNAS work. Good to know these things before you make a decision.

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

ZFS RAID size and reliability calculator 2017-05-17
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/zfs-raid-size-and-reliability-calculator.49/

Status
Not open for further replies.