Why Scale isn't capable of providing file based storage for VMs and only block device storage

titust1

Explorer
TrueNAS SCALE is a type-1 hypervisor solution that adds Linux Containers, VMs (KVM) and is based on Debian (11) and QEMU KVM.
KVM is capable of using "files base storage" as well as "disk based storage" for the VM virtual disks.
At this point I'm confused. It does not make any sense for me.
Why Scale is not capable of providing virtualization with file based storage for VMs and only block device (z-vol) storage?
Why can't we simply create a VM with the virtual disk in a shared dataset (for example SMB). Some people are used with the flexibility of having a VM is a file.
Why this crippled functionality?
Is it necessary to officially ask for a feature request?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It's something we'd like to do, but the VM feature was almost a direct port from CORE. I'd expect to see file support land in the future, SCALE has a lot of potential features like this and others that will come in time.

titust1

Explorer
Thanks a lot, I really like Scale, and if the performance Scale vs Core will be resolved and I'm convinced it will replace Core in the future so the development will be concentrated on one product introducing more features.