SOLVED Why is drive not showing up in glabel status

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
setting this value to 0 only suppresses the creation of new new swap space.
Correct.
I also assume the "not recommended" applies to disabling swap completely.
Yes. I usually ensure that a system has between 8GB and 16GB of swap space available but most systems will not use much swap space unless they are doing virtualization. Sometimes virtualization causes excessive swap utilization, but I have a system at work that has been running for two months straight and is using less than 1GB of swap even though I provisioned it with 16GB of swap available. This server is a pure storage server with not even a jail running, so the little bit of swap use is from normal activity of just serving files. During the time it started using swap, we were transferring data from an older server to the 'new' FreeNAS over a 10Gb network connection and the utilization was very high, approaching the theoretical max for 10Gb networking.

NASbox

Guru
For the record, in case someone has the same issue: I had volumes with data that I didn't wasn't to have to recreate, so I just deleted the swap partition (with the drive unmounted).

It is likely a good idea to have a bit of unused space (although 2GB is excessive) just in case a volume needs to be recreated and the new drive is a few sectors smaller than the old one.

danb35

Hall of Famer
although 2GB is excessive
On one hand, agreed--especially since disk capacities are much more standardized now than they were when FreeNAS was new. On the other hand, 2 GB is a tiny fraction of the total space of any modern hard drive, and the system should have some swap. It's a good default, I think, though there are any number of good reasons to change it.

NASbox

Guru
On the other hand, 2 GB is a tiny fraction of the total space of any modern hard drive, and the system should have some swap. It's a good default, I think, though there are any number of good reasons to change it.
Agreed... I meant that 2GB was a bit excessive to allow for variations in drive size, but as you said it is such a small percentage of the dive it was not worth rebuilding the pool just to save 1.9GB.