why even buy enterprise SATA drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hit about 90 day mark on server build and got that nasty email telling me that a drive had failed. Seagate constellation 4tb. 90 days at 30c in a server rack. No smart errors then... poof! At least I can RMA it.

On the bright side I got to resilver my first zpool! It amazes me how easy the process was. The email alerts are super-convenient. Really liking zfs. Really not liking Seagate. the extra cost of their enterprise drives is for the snake oil lubricating the platters.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Doesn't that drive have a 5 year warranty? I have four of those drives (2TB version) at work and never had a single issue. The will be infant mortality in every product, it adds excitement to the game :D

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Doesn't that drive have a 5 year warranty? I have four of those drives (2TB version) at work and never had a single issue. The will be infant mortality in every product, it adds excitement to the game :D

Yeah. It has a five year warranty. That's why I got it. RAIDZ2 made it stress free. Having an extra drive lying around helped too. :)
That being said, the internet is here so that we can whine about things under the illusion of anonymity, right?

solarisguy

Guru
Since I got bitten by getting a 90-day warranty refurbished drive for a drive that has failed on the first day of use, I purchase additional warranty. And I did not look at manufacturer's warranties in a very long time. How does your 5-year enterprise drive warranty look like?

joeschmuck

Old Man
That also sucks, when you RMA a drive, even if it's 1 day old and fails, you get a Refurb drive from the manufacturer. I know the last drive I RMA'd retained the full warranty period of my original purchase. I think that is how everyone does it however I wouldn't be surprised if there are exceptions to that.

As for purchasing a refurbed drive up front, same thing should apply, if it fails on day 1, the replacement should be under warranty for the remainder of the 90 day period.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not a shocker but at least it should maintain the original warranty. Check it on their website.

norskman

Contributor
We pay more here in the UK. But we get long warranties 3 years is not uncommon and sometimes for Enterprise types; 5 years.
The warranty goes from the manufacturing date - I think. this is not so clever, sometimes the drives are in the market for a while until they are sold...

Seagate are not bad at sending out replacements but they are always REFURBISHED stickered.

I also know they have been cutting back on warranty periods.....

joeschmuck

Old Man
We pay more here in the UK. But we get long warranties 3 years is not uncommon and sometimes for Enterprise types; 5 years.
Not sure what you mean. Are you implying that because you pay more that you typically get a longer warranty? I hope not because most normal drives are 3 years and most enterprise class drives are 5 years.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not sure what you mean. Are you implying that because you pay more that you typically get a longer warranty? I hope not because most normal drives are 3 years and most enterprise class drives are 5 years.

One thing that's illegal in the EU is that "We'll replace it with a refurb that has a 90 day warranty" business. It might be a refurb, but they must honor the original warranty.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The only time I've ever heard of a 90 day warranty is for someone who purchases a refurb unit.

solarisguy

Guru
I took a plunge and read
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?wdc_lang=en

EU does not allow 1 year warranty for certain product groups, so the items with a 1-year term in North America are uplifted to 2-years. That is very clear.

The rest is not (this is where American lawyers earn their living...):

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?wdc_lang=en said:
Warranties may vary in regions that belong to the European Union

All recertified products carry manufacturer's limited warranty of 6 months.

WD's replacement Product under its limited warranty will be manufactured from new and serviceable used parts. WD's warranty applies to repaired or replaced Products for the balance of the applicable period of the original warranty or ninety days from the date of shipment of a repaired or replaced Product, whichever is longer.

If an alphabetic character appears after the Product date code (example: 05 Apr 99 X), the Product has been re-certified and may not be subject to the terms of WD's warranty as it applies only to products sold as new.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I took a plunge and read
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?wdc_lang=en

EU does not allow 1 year warranty for certain product groups, so the items with a 1-year term in North America are uplifted to 2-years. That is very clear.

The rest is not (this is where American lawyers earn their living...):

In my case, the refurb drive is still be bound by the terms and conditions of the warranty of the drive it replaced. BTW, initially Seagate wanted us to pay shipping to return the defective hard drive to them, but after a short polite conversation they relented and sent us a label with the replacement drive (we didn't pay shipping). If you have to return a failed hard drive, view it as an opportunity to hone your social engineering skills. :)

cookiesowns

Dabbler
Infant mortality. I have a few 1TB ES.3 SAS drives in RAID-1 and none have failed even in a 1U chassis with 6 counter rotating fans at 100% 24/7.

That said, went with hitachi 7.2K NAS drives for a large ZFS build. Partially due to cost, and the rest made it at east due to backblaze's findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.