Why do I have vmware.periodic_snaps on my task manager?

Lothian

Dabbler
Hi,

On my task manager, the task that is most frequently listed is "periodic.vmware_periodic_snaps". It runs every hour on the hour and has a start and finish time that are the same. So it is not having a big impact on my sstem but it certainly clutters up my task list.

Is this normal? I have one beehive virtual machine I use to run Ubuntu on but have not set up any snapshots for the virtual machine. I have no vmware jobs on my server. Is this task necessary and if not, how do I turn it off?

Thank you

websmith

Dabbler
I am guessing you cannot turn it off.
It is much easier to program a task to always run and just check a list for servers that needs to be snapshotted instead of checking if there are any servers and then disable a program from running and enable it again if someone adds a server to be snapshotted.

The time it runs is probably tied to how often you create snapshots on your pools, so you have two options.

1. Change the interval of when you do snapshots to not so often
2. Suck it up :smile:

And then create a BUG/Feature request on the FreeNAS/TrueNAS bug tracker

Lothian

Dabbler
Thanks, I was afraid the answer would be something like that! I'll do as you suggest.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
On my task manager, the task that is most frequently listed is "periodic.vmware_periodic_snaps".
Are you running FreeNAS? What version?

Lothian

Dabbler
Sorry, I should have specified that. Yes, running TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE I don't know whether or not this has been happening for a long time, I had not noticed the task manager before and was using it to monitor a big replication task I am doing for a move to a new pool I have added.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I should have specified that. Yes, running TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE I don't know whether or not this has been happening for a long time, I had not noticed the task manager before and was using it to monitor a big replication task I am doing for a move to a new pool I have added.
It may sound funny, but I have seen people come in and ask about things, then it turns out they are using Linux or something.

I think it is strange, but the "vmware_periodic_snaps" is managed under the "Storage" tab on the left side menu instead of under the "Automated Tasks" menu. You must have configured it during setup because the system doesn't do it auto-magically. It is not well documented either, so I can't point to a guide and say "here it is" because it isn't even mentioned in the documentation.

Here is a link to where it should be mentioned:

I can only guess that the documentation is still a work in progress.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. You must have a schedule for creating these snapshots and you can delete it if you don't need it and delete the snapshots too.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
After doing a little more digging, I did find this:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer