Where are my disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellaSancho

Dabbler
So I was messing around with my NAS today and I realized that I'm unable to see my disks at all. I'm running 9.1.0 currently (dff7d13). Via the UI when I browse to Storage>Volumes>View Disks nothing shows up. This is peculiar as I have 3 x 2TB drives and have for quite a while. I\m still able to access my content and my Volumes are all still there but the disks aren't. The only thing that I can think of that happened recently is there was some sort of file system alert which forced me to reboot the NAS before I could access my data. After rebooting, everything was running fine. I'm thinking perhaps I should just upgrade to the newest build and hopefully my problem will magically disappear. Thoughts?

HellaSancho

Dabbler
Okay, update. I logged onto my NAS tonight and now the alert is stating that my volume is unknown and running in a degraded state. I rebooted the machine and this alert when away. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
something is wrong with your nas. Please post your hardware that you are using, output of zpool status in code tages and SMART data for each drive in code tags.

HellaSancho

Dabbler
Here are my system specs:

Build: FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)
Platform: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory: 2 x G.Skill 2GB sticks
Storage: 3 x Wetern Digital Red 2TB drives

Here is the output of zpool status:

Code:
 state: ONLINE                                                                
status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.                     
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not support feature flags.                                                                
  scan: resilvered 88.3M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Thu Feb  5 22:46:09 2015    
config:                                                                       

NAME                                                     STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                            
        SNYDER_volume                                   ONLINE       0     0   0                                                                            
          raidz1-0                         ONLINE       0     0   0   

gptid/052f3460-86a2-11e2-b6c5-3085a940f554  ONLINE       0     0   0                                                                            
            gptid/05ae3dd9-86a2-11e2-b6c5-3085a940f554  ONLINE       0     0   0                                                                            
            gptid/062cfe43-86a2-11e2-b6c5-3085a940f554  ONLINE       0     0   0                                             

I see a suggested "zpool upgrade". Could this perhaps be my problem? As far as I know I've not changed anything that should require this. Perhaps I didn't notice this issue in upgrading to 9.1. Thoughts?

As for SMART data. I've just run tests for each drive some I must wait for these results. Until I get those results, does the zpool status point to anything?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You need more memory. The minimum requirements is 8GB. And before you say it worked great before, the reason for that is that less memory causes intermittent issues so sometimes your pool can mount and sometimes it can't. I wouldn't upgrade the os or the pool until you fix your hardware.

HellaSancho

Dabbler
Okay, as per your suggestion I replaced my ram with 2 x 4GB G.Skill chips. I also got results from my smart test as can be seen below:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -l selftest /dev/ada0                                                                                  
smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE amd64] (local build)                                                            
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org                                                       

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===                                                                                          
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1                                                                                   
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error                                   
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     14884         -                                                    

[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -l selftest /dev/ada1                                                                                  

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error                                   
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     14886         -                                                    

[root@freenas ~]# smartctl -l selftest /dev/ada2                                                                                  

# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     16556         -                                                    

When viewing the status of my nas, it says:
OK: The volume SNYDER_volume (ZFS) status is HEALTHY

I still can't see my disks via the UI which is concerning... ideas?

HellaSancho

Dabbler
I've been running for a day now without any alerts so SOMETHING has improved. Still unable to view my disks. I also don't see any volumes when I select "View Volumes" in the GUI. Perhaps should I try the zpool upgrade now?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Upgrading your pool won't do anything. Something else is wrong. Did you build your pool using FreeNAS? There is something you aren't telling us that is important and people probably aren't going make wild guesses in the dark. You could always get a new USB and reinstall FreeNAS then boot from that and see if that fixes things.

Apollo

Wizard
It could be caused by your internet browser. Are you using Firefox with script and add blockers? Try another browser.
Can you run a scrub of the pool and let it sit until completed, then you could upgrade your pool if nothing wrong is reported.
You could then try to install Freenas 9.3 on a spare USB key and keep your current Freenas config unchanged. You can check if you can boot your system based on the new Grub-Boot loader. It may not work on your system, or it could.
But if you try and are able to boot, then wait before upgrading the pool until you know for sure your 9.3 release is working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.