What RaidZ would suit me the best and how many drives per vdev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zicoz

Dabbler
I am currently considering moving back for FreeNAS and ZFS, but I was considering to run 8 drive RaidZ2 volumes, but after reading this thread I am no longer sure. I also tried looking at the blog post and Google Doc linked in the thread, but didn't understand too much.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jHv6CGVElrPqTA0w_ZY/edit?pli=1#gid=2126998674

http://blog.delphix.com/matt/2014/06/06/zfs-stripe-width/

It is mainly a media server for movies and TV-series, but I would also like it to function as FTP and Plex server.

I have 1:1 copies of everything stored off-site so redundancy is not the most important. It is only there so I will reduce the risk of having to rebuild everything and manually copy everything back onto the server.

As for speed I am more then happy as long as I can "max out" my Gbit Ethernet.

Currently my server is running Windows 8 Storage Spaces without parity, and it's been working great. But I recently passed the 63TB limit, and I would prefer everything to be stored on the same pool, so unless they up the limit in Windows 9 I need to move elsewhere.

Currently I have the following disks:

4 TB Seagate NAS HD x4
3TB WD Enterprise Raid x12
4TB WD Enterprise Class SE x 7
And I have also picked up 2x WD Red 6TB drives

I believe these are all 4k disks

Is it safe to have the 4TB Seagate disks in the same Vdev as the 4TB WD disks?

Anyone got a suggestion on how I should set this up without wasting too much space?

esamett

Patron
search the forums. lots of discussion on your question.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would do 2 vdevs in raidz3 of 11 drives. 11x4tb and 11x3tb then add drives in sets of 11 because you obviously have high storage needs. This will get you around 56TB of storage and will probably need 64 GB+ of memory. Then you can add drives in sets of 11. The other 3TB can be a spare and the 6TB drives don't fit nicely until you have 11 of them to make a full vdev.

Status
Not open for further replies.