Western External Digital Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ1989

Dabbler
I originally tried running Freenas 8.0.1 on my wifes tiny old old old laptop that had a broken screen and used a 300gb western digital external hard drive to store some stuff on. I was able to load it as ZFS.

I unplugged the hard drive and got a new NAS and tried to auto import it (laptops gone). I couldn't, even with the same version. I'm currently running version 8.2 beta 2.

When I try to import the volume manually as NTFS (the hard drive itself is NTFS but I was using it as ZFS on the NAS) It says "An error occured while labeling the disk." Of course trying to import it as UFS or something tell me "The selected disks were not verified for this import rules." (perhaps fix the grammar here?) The disk is listed in drop down box as "da1p1"

When I try and auto import it's listed as "Reonika [zfs, id=13991700670287433343]" I get "Error: The volume Reonika failed to import, for further details check pool status"

I'm not sure how to check pool status.

Is there any way I can save the data I had saved to this drive? I'd like to recover the data and continue using it as an external hard drive as I now have two 2tb drives mirrored on the new NAS.

louisk

Patron
I think there may be some confusion here. NTFS and ZFS are mutually exclusive. If the drive was formatted NTFS, it can't be ZFS and vice versa.

If you plug the drive into windows, what happens?

JJ1989

Dabbler
In windows it just loads the virtual cd drive that I believe is firmware and can't be deleted as it's not physically on the drive but in the part that adapts the drive to USB.

I can view the volume in disk management and it says it has no name and no file system with 295.44 GB capacity. No options are available except "delete volume..." There is an additional 2GB of unallocated space.

UFS Explorer Standard Addition 5.3 has allowed me to view the files on windows, but you need to pay for full access :(

louisk

Patron
OK. If you can view it with UFS explorer, then its a UFS formatted drive, not ZFS. You should be able to import it as a UFS drive.

JJ1989

Dabbler
I can't. UFS Explorer as of version 4.0 has experimental ZFS. With version 5.3 I can view the files, but can't recover anything over 64kb in the trial version. Everything is still on the drive intact, I'm not sure why Freenas wont import it.

The partition of the drive that I want the files on is ZFS, the CD portion I believe is NTFS, and there's an addition 2gb that wasn't partitioned by Freenas initially for some reason.

warri

Guru
The additional 2gb are reserved for swap.

Can you connect to your command line via SSH (or directly with a keyboard), enter "zpool import" and paste the resulting lines here?

JJ1989

Dabbler
Pool: Reonika
id: 13991700670287433343
state: ONLINE
action: the pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and the '-f' flag.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

Reonika ONLINE
da1p2 ONLINE

JJ1989

Dabbler
Any Ideas? The website needs a login and password. It would seem I could use the -f flag? I'm not sure how though, any ideas or links to where I might be able to find this information?

JJ1989

Dabbler
Update: The autoimport function works in version 8.2 Beta 3!! Was able to recover all data :)

Status
Not open for further replies.