WebGUI Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexitus

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288) to the new 8.0.3 update. However, every time I try to upgrade the FreeNAS, it seems to be stuck upgrading and eventually failing to upgrade.

Code:
Feb 12 12:30:57 freenas freenas[1783]: Executing: /usr/sbin/chown www:www /mnt/Storage/.freenas
Feb 12 12:30:57 freenas freenas[1783]: Executing: /bin/ln -s /mnt/Storage/.freenas /var/tmp/firmware
Feb 12 12:30:58 freenas ntpd[1542]: kernel time sync status change 2001

That is only message I get from FreeNAS. It looks like it doesn't upgrade.

Is the only way to upgrade the cd/dvd method now or is there a ssh method?

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
You might want to wait for version 8.04 which should be out in about another week. There have been a couple of reports from people saying they've had trouble upgrading from the GUI. You could try this method:

1. Transfer over the file to /mnt/tank
2. Execute 'xzcat /mnt/tank/path/to/upgrade.xz | sh -x /root/update && touch /data/need-update && shutdown -r now'

Nexitus

Dabbler
For that method....which file from sourceforge do I need to grab? Would I need the full install version instead of the webGUI one?

ProtoSD

MVP
The full install would overwrite your existing install, you would use the GUI_upgrade.xz, just change the "upgrade.xz" in the command above to match the name of the GUI_upgrade.xz file.

Nexitus

Dabbler
I think I've found the reason...but its sorta weird. The USB Flash drive is an 8GB drive, but I have insufficient room on it. Is it because I came from an older version of FreeNAS 8 that was partition the flash drive smaller?

Regardless, I tried installing the the new version of FreeNAS onto a USB and plugged it into the server, but I've been running into a mounting error. I'm guessing its to do with the existing ZFS volume in the server already. Is there some way to remedy that?

I really appreciate the help thus far.

ProtoSD

MVP
... but I have insufficient room on it. Is it because I came from an older version of FreeNAS 8 that was partition the flash drive smaller?

It's entirely possible, if you wipe the partition info that should eliminate that possiblity.

.... I've been running into a mounting error. I'm guessing its to do with the existing ZFS volume in the server already. Is there some way to remedy that?

I really appreciate the help thus far.

An existing ZFS volume shouldn't be causing a problem, can you post more details about the error you are getting?

Nexitus

Dabbler
http://snpr.cm/D4JBXA.png

I think this picture should be pretty telling of my issue. Basically the volume I need to put the upgrade.xz file into doesn't have the space to contain the 80MB file. It only has 44MB of available space if anything.

I basically need to expand that in order to upgrade the FreeNAS version.

I can only think I will need to trash the whole unit to give myself the required space. Unless there is CLI commands I can use to expand/shrink these partitions. (ZFS volume)

ProtoSD

MVP
You should be able to copy the file to the "Netstor" partition and run the command I posted above from there. There's not any commands to expand or shrink those partitions.

Nexitus

Dabbler
If this is the command you meant for me to use. The directory doesn't seem to get pulled up. Perhaps my path is incorrect?

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# xzcat /dev/zvol/Storage/NetStor/upgrade.xz | sh -x /root/update && touch /data/need-update && shutdown -r now
xzcat: /dev/zvol/Storage/NetStor/upgrade.xz: Not a directory
+ set -e
+ . /etc/nanobsd.conf
+ NANO_DRIVE=ufs/FreeNAS
+ mount
+ grep ufs/FreeNASs1
+ exec sh /root/updatep1
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.000038 secs (0 bytes/sec)
Can't stat /dev/da4s1a: No such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/da4s1a: No such file or directory
mount: /dev/da4s1a : No such file or directory

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No...
Copy the Full_Upgrade.xz image to /mnt/NetStor or whatever it is called
and then:
xzcat /mnt/NetStor/upgrade.xz | sh -x /root/update && touch /data/need-update && shutdown -r now

Nexitus

Dabbler
Okay,

Well 'NetStor' is an iSCSI extent. The path to it is, '/dev/zvol/Storage/NetStor'. If I login using SCP to the server, there is no '/mnt/NetStor' and only '/mnt/Storage'.

To place the upgrade.xz file, i just dropped it into the copy & pasted it into 'NetStor'.

/dev/zvol/Storage/NetStor/upgrade.xz

Should be the proper path to the upgrade file, but is not recognized as a file or directory through ssh...

Image as seen in FreeNAS Web GUI -> http://snpr.cm/D4JBXA.png

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
God, you need a mountpath, if your volume is named Storage, then it is /mnt/Storage, put the .xz file there...

Nexitus

Dabbler
The only mountpath, /mnt/Storage, is too small to hold the upgrade file...

Thus I feel the only solution is to trash NetStor and remake the Volume...

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
And now I just saw your screenshot.. you only have 44MB in your /mnt/Storage, which means you cannot upgrade and thats the reason it is failing in GUI...

Try to put it in /var/tmp, if you have enough space...
check with "df -h"

Nexitus

Dabbler
Okay...welll I just threw it into /root/ and it seems to be working since there is enough space in there. /mnt/Storage is way too small to use for upgrades. I guess I won't have Web GUI upgrades then, but that's fine...

Nexitus

Dabbler
Okay, so its upgraded.

However, the upgrade installation is trying to mount the wrong mount path for FreeNAS....its trying to mount FreeNASs1a, but FreeNAS is in FreeNASs2a.

Is there some way I can edit the configuration?

Nexitus

Dabbler
Where can I use that gpart command? I don't think that it works in the loader prompt...

Yellowbeard

Dabbler
I'm not sure if this has already been posted but you can't upgrade from 8.0.2 or anything earlier than that to 8.0.3 via the GUI. Here's a clip from the release notes:

The image size increased in 8.0.1-BETA3. The new size requires a 2 GB storage device. The GUI upgrade can be used to upgrade a system from BETA3, BETA4, or RC1 but upgrades from earlier releases can only be done from the CD. The other option is to save the config, reinstall the new version, then restore the config.

Nexitus

Dabbler
In the end, I just reverted back to 8.0.2 as 8.0.3 and 8.0.4 fresh installs seem to just give me root mount errors...maybe I will try with CD updates...

Status
Not open for further replies.