Volume is DEGRADED

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
One of my volumes is in a degraded state, and it is x2 1tb WD Green drives. Looking around, WD doesn't do the Green drives now and on Amazon it says the Blue is a replacement for the Green.

Would I be ok to install just 1 Blue drive in with the 1 Green drive to make it back to what it was?

The other thing is, how do I know which drive is faulty out of the 2?

nojohnny101

Wizard
First off, WD blue drives are not recommended. I would go with something else, the WD reds are popular on here.

Secondly, you identify the bad drive by finding the serial number in the GUI and then matching that with serial number of the physical drive itself. Reference the manual for further details.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
First off, WD blue drives are not recommended. I would go with something else, the WD reds are popular on here.
Reds are better, but Greens/New Blues can be made to work for most people. Idle timer needs setting to 300s.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There are reasons why the blue/green drives are not recommended in a FreeNAS pool. They don't have TLER for one (look it up). They also have a head-parking behavior which is generally bad in a NAS---it will cause the drives to wear out kind of fast. etc. etc. etc. so it's not just nerds advising you against it without cogent reasons.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks for all the replies, and I will go for a WD Red.
The x2 Green WD drives are or were for backups only, and were not subject to the same use as as another volume which is x5 Red WD Drives. Looking back in my records,the x2 green drives were purchased in October 2011, so I can't complain about them.

avalon60

Guru

Secondly, you identify the bad drive by finding the serial number in the GUI and then matching that with serial number of the physical drive itself. Reference the manual for further details.

In the GUI, Storage tab , it just says that the volume Bckaup_Data is degraded, and in the View Disks tab where it gives the seriel number for each drive, there is nothing to say the the said volume is degraded or which drive it is.

Also in volume status it says that this drive is unavailable :4037654812711412220, but that number does not match any of the 2 seriel numbers for the 2 drives.

When I do zpool status -v in a shell this drive is degraded:
4037654812711412220 UNAVAIL 1 6 0 was /dev/gptid/b723bfb5-4792-11e6-a4b6-0cc47a0c1

I can't match any of those numbers to either of the 2 drives.

EDIT: I found which Drive which needs to be replaced by using or clicking on the 'replace' button and it gave me the the 'da' number which I could match.

Last edited:

JDCynical

Contributor
WD doesn't do the Green drives now and on Amazon it says the Blue is a replacement for the Green.
Well, kind of.

Any blue drive above 1 TB is almost guaranteed to be a 'green' drive in a blue label (look at the rotational speed).

I found which Drive which needs to be replaced by using or clicking on the 'replace' button and it gave me the the 'da' number which I could match.
If I am remembering correctly, that DA number can change, so it's not that reliable of an indicator as to which drive has failed.

One potential option, assuming you have individual activity lights, would be to run some kind of heavy-ish I/O operation on the pool and look at which drive isn't showing activity.

avalon60

Guru
I have decided to replace both Green Drives with Red ones now and will get them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.