VM via raw file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Ertel

Dabbler
Hi,
I have on my productive FreeNAS still 9.10 with some VMs inside virtualbox. As I want to migrate soon I tried several things.
One of my used VMs is running under Ubuntu 16 with Grub. I converted the vdi to raw put it on my FreeNAS 11 box (testbox) and added this as a raw device. It seems to work although I read I should dd it to a zvol and use this (I tried it but the machine never booted). Are there any disadvantages of having it running with a raw device?
How can I find out (using FreeNAS) which IP this machine is getting (on my router I can see it but where inside FreeNAS)?

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Marco

Last edited by a moderator:

Osiris

Contributor
How did you add the raw device as a disk on FN11? This is unclear to me.
It seems I can only add zvols as disks to vms.

Marco Ertel

Dabbler
ups- this was not in FN11U2- this was in one of the nightly builds. There it was possible to add not only a disc but also a file.
In FN11U2 only the zvol is available. Unfortunately I was never able to get such a machine running although I converted the vdi to raw, copied it to the testmachine and moved it to a zvol via dd.
It was a UEFI installation of Ubuntu 16.04 (which runs without any issues in 9.10U2 virtualbox) but in FN11 it stops in the UEFI shell and I can't find any files- neither on the UEFI shell neither in the UEFI menu.

Kind Regards,
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.