VM does not boot with an assigned video card :(

Louis2

Contributor
I am running the latest version of TrueNas scale using a AMD 550 motherboard with an 5700G CPU. The 5700G has a build in GPU.
Since Scale always needs one GPU for itself, there is/was no GPU available for a VM.

Since I plan to use VM's having a GUI, I need to add a GPU to at least one VM (at a time), I had to adee an extra GPU (I added a Nvidia GT 1030).
In System Settings Advanced I noticed that the GT1030 has been isolated ^for use by a virtual machine (VM)^. So That was according to my plan.

Than I created a data set ^FreeBSD14^ and started defining a new VM ^FreeBSD14 (FreeBSD14 Current)^.
In the section related to GPU's I defined:
- Hide from MSR ^no^
- Ensure Display Device ^yes^
- GPU's: I choose the GT 1030 (Note I could also select the 5700G internal GPU, which should not be possible IMHO !!)

The VM did NOT boot :oops:
- note that in VM devices there where two PCI devices added. One for audio and One for Video

I removed the GPU in the VM-config and after doing so the VM did boot. Since the VM was booting now, I did configure FreeBSD and removed the virtual CDROM. After that the VM did work / start.

Than I did a second test. I did edit the config and added the GPU again. Not booting again :mad:

So for some reason it does not work

I hope some one understands the problem, has the solution !!

Louis

Louis2

Contributor
After a reboot the problem seems to be gone. However there are plenty of issues to solve and test left.

Accessing the VM from a Windows10 PC:
- vnc works but does not support audio (hardly / not acceptable)
- spice seems to be better, but I do no manage to get virt-viewer working (so no option)

I switched to VM Fedora 38 Workstation for testing, since it has a Gui by default.
- I installed NoMachine on Fedora since I strongly prefer NoMachine above VNC
- NoMachine supports Audio, however I did not yet manage to get sound. Could be related to ^limmited^ PipeWire support

I am testing the Fedora 38 VM first without the Nvidia GT 1030 assigned. I want to have that up and running first.
Next to that, I also want to see the difference of the VM with and without the graphic card assigned.

If someone has suggestions how to have 'decent' remote VM video and audio access, that would be nice

jiangxiaohao

Cadet
重新启动后问题似乎消失了。然而,还有很多问题需要解决和测试。

从Windows10 PC访问虚拟机:
- vnc 可以工作,但不支持音频(很难/不可接受)
- 香料似乎更好,但我无法让 virt-viewer 工作(所以没有选择)

我切换到VM Fedora 38 Workstation进行测试,因为它默认有一个Gui。
- 我在 Fedora 上安装了 NoMachine,因为相比 VNC,我更喜欢 NoMachine
- NoMachine 支持音频,但我还没有设法获得声音。可能与^有限^ PipeWire 支持有关

我首先测试 Fedora 38 VM,未分配 Nvidia GT 1030。我想先启动并运行它。
接下来,我还想看看分配了显卡和没有分配显卡的虚拟机的区别。

如果有人建议如何进行“体面的”远程虚拟机视频和音频访问,那就太好了