Vlans in Cobia

Isma

Contributor
Hello, I have several questions about how to configure the Vlans in Cobia, I read many forums, reddit questions, etc. about how to configure a vlan for the vms, but I couldn't get any of them to connect to me.

I have two physical NICs on my board.

1695856229548.png

The following configurations were the ones I tried

Configuration 1
1.I create a link aggregation (bond0) and assign it to enp60s0 (losing its ip)
2. I create a vlan called vlan0 without ip and link it to bond0
3. I create a bridge (br0) and assign it to vlan0

I assign the el br0 to the vm in its nic

the machine does not have internet access

Configuration 2
1.I create a link aggregation (bond0) and assign it to enp60s0 (losing its ip)
2. I create a vlan called vlan0 without ip and link it to bond0
3. I create a bridge (br0) assign it an ip (192.168.5.0) and assign it to vlan0

Configuration 3
1. I create a vlan called vlan0 without ip and assign it to enp60s0 (losing its ip and trying with ip)
2. I create a bridge (br0) assign it an ip (192.168.5.0) and without ip and assign it to vlan0

Configuration 4

Any combination I make, I'll probably try it.

Regarding the network configuration, am I doing something wrong?

Regarding the VMs, should I put a virtual adapter on them or is the Intel1000 one valid?

Should I configure the win OS vms, is there a valid gateway?

thank you

Trevor68

Contributor
Pretty sure you will not have much luck using the GUI for this, I created my bridge (br0) using the console and a borrowed monitor.

Isma

Contributor
Pretty sure you will not have much luck using the GUI for this, I created my bridge (br0) using the console and a borrowed monitor.
I understand that you are referring to the shell where thunder shows the network access IP to your host and the numbered options

Trevor68

Contributor
Absolutely, I was never able to create the bridge using the GUI (web interface), it worked first go using the console (shell) though.

skittlebrau

Explorer
Configuration #3 is what you're meant to do in your situation.

1. Create VLAN interface, name it as vlanX (where X is the VLAN tag), assign it to the desired physical/parent interface and don't assign an IP address.
  2. Create a bridge, name it brX (where X is the VLAN tag), select vlanX in Bridge Members and set IP address in Aliases.

Have you tagged the appropriate ports on your switch? How do you have your VLANs configured on your firewall/router? Have you created firewall rules to allow those VLANs/subnets to reach the internet?

You'll probably need to share a bit more info about how you have everything connected. A network diagram helps along with a brief description.

I'm not a network guy myself, but I've been on a similar journey with my homelab and have been using VLANs for several years at this point.

Isma

Contributor
Configuration #3 is what you're meant to do in your situation.

1. Create VLAN interface, name it as vlanX (where X is the VLAN tag), assign it to the desired physical/parent interface and don't assign an IP address.
  2. Create a bridge, name it brX (where X is the VLAN tag), select vlanX in Bridge Members and set IP address in Aliases.

Have you tagged the appropriate ports on your switch? How do you have your VLANs configured on your firewall/router? Have you created firewall rules to allow those VLANs/subnets to reach the internet?

You'll probably need to share a bit more info about how you have everything connected. A network diagram helps along with a brief description.

I'm not a network guy myself, but I've been on a similar journey with my homelab and have been using VLANs for several years at this point.
1696445905951.png

Try to make the vlans in both the 10gb and 1gb ones

My goal is to get the vms in enp60s0 with vlans by changing the mask or modifying the ip, for example 192.168.5.x, when using the same ip I cannot

Saoshen

Dabbler
Normally you should not have different vlans using the same network subnet.

At least it is not good practice.

Vlans are often linked to the 3rd octet, so vlan 20 would typically be 192.168.20.x

The purpose of vlans is to isolate the segment so that devices on a vlan can communicate with each other, but not with other vlans, other than when trunked via a managed switch or routing/firewall rules allow.

Additionally, it is also bad practice to have 2 ethernet nics on the same subnet, unless using some kind of bonding, as that can cause packets to be sent/received by the wrong nic.

see also @ https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/multiple-interfaces-on-same-subnet.99446/
and

Isma

Contributor
Normally you should not have different vlans using the same network subnet.

At least it is not good practice.

Vlans are often linked to the 3rd octet, so vlan 20 would typically be 192.168.20.x

The purpose of vlans is to isolate the segment so that devices on a vlan can communicate with each other, but not with other vlans, other than when trunked via a managed switch or routing/firewall rules allow.

Additionally, it is also bad practice to have 2 ethernet nics on the same subnet, unless using some kind of bonding, as that can cause packets to be sent/received by the wrong nic.

see also @ https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/multiple-interfaces-on-same-subnet.99446/
and
Correct, I wanted to know if I could create vlans without having to use a switch simply at the software level, using the same gateway but on different networks for example create different static routes

mgspivey

Cadet
The GUI has come a long way. Last night in RC1 I was able to change from a single NIC for TrueNAS, to two using LACP, changed br0 to bond0 instead of the first NIC, added two vlan# interfaces that were on that second NIC, all without testing any changes along the way. Hit Test while committing the port change to bring up the second port on the switch (Not sure it was essential I did this right away but I really just wanted to add the second vlan to the first card).

Surprised it worked, but after about 30 seconds it let me save the changes. Didnt reboot, didnt even restart the VMs or Applications (using those VLANs). Everything still working today. I was prepared to use the console but I prefer the GUI now.

I connect my vlan# interfaces to bond0 - I think - and before they were just on that second NIC without using it in TrueNAS.

Isma

Contributor
La GUI ha recorrido un largo camino. Anoche en RC1 pude cambiar de una sola NIC para TrueNAS a dos usando LACP, cambié br0 a bond0 en lugar de la primera NIC, agregué dos interfaces vlan# que estaban en esa segunda NIC, todo sin probar ningún cambio a lo largo del forma. Presione Probar mientras realiza el cambio de puerto para abrir el segundo puerto en el conmutador (no estoy seguro de que fuera esencial, hice esto de inmediato, pero realmente solo quería agregar la segunda VLAN a la primera tarjeta).

Me sorprendió que funcionara, pero después de unos 30 segundos me permitió guardar los cambios. No reinicié, ni siquiera reinicié las máquinas virtuales o las aplicaciones (usando esas VLAN). Todo sigue funcionando hoy. Estaba preparado para usar la consola pero ahora prefiero la GUI.

Conecto mis interfaces vlan# a bond0, creo, y antes estaban en esa segunda NIC sin usarla en TrueNAS.
What do you mean by ports? I think there is something I'm missing, a router configuration?

mgspivey

Cadet
What do you mean by ports? I think there is something I'm missing, a router configuration?
Your switch has to support LACP to use that protocol. Not all do, and every brand has a different way of implementing it.