Virtualbox Jail - Mouse Sensitivity Mismatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasayaki

Explorer
Hi guys,

I installed the Virtualbox jail via the official plugin. It went just fine, the problem is that the sensitivity of the mouse in the console doesn't match up to the mouse on the guest; so moving the mouse, say, one inch in the console window moves it 1.6 inches in the guest. It seems to get worse the further away from the centre of the screen you are, making the bottom quarter or so of the screen inaccessible. You can "change" the calibration point by moving your mouse way off the screen but it's very clumsy and still inaccurate.

This makes installing a guest OS extremely difficult. I tested with Windows 7 and Ubuntu and the same problem occurs with both.

The same problem occurs if I use VNCviewer to access the newly minted machine. I imagine it can be fixed by installing the Guest Addons but installing the OS first is quite difficult without an accurate mouse.

Anyone else encountered this issue?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, I encountered that exact issue. That is also why my Virtualbox guide says you should install the Virtualbox extensions. ;)

Sasayaki

Explorer
But how? I can't complete the OS installation, and though I might be able to tab through options, that's going to be a pain every time I spin up a VM. :/

There's no other fix? It just seems that it's such a basic usability issue that it would be a high priority for the Virtualbox dev team to fix, and surely it's not that complex an issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just worked through it until I got the extensions installed and then all was better.

One person I chatted with a month or so ago said it was a web browser problem and not a virtualbox problem. I don't really care to finger point, I just know how to solve it and I did solve it for myself. ;)

trey22

Dabbler
Yup, had to use the Tab key, Space key, Arrow keys to navigate from field to field and option to option. Keyboard only is a pain, but doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.