Verify Budget NAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull3r

Cadet
hi, all my question is similiar to the one asked above, im looking for a cheap build of freenas but with redundancy. im leaning towards an amd build and i hardly have documents and photos upto say a few 300 0dd gb and im sure in the next 3 yrs it wont cross 1 tb. so i need 1 tb to start with but i dont know how to proceed so that i can add space later and other features later.

currently im using an asus rt n16 router connected to a hard disk which gives me 8mbps on lan, if im lucky.

with my freenas system, anything above 60 mbps will make me extremely happy.

i was thinking of

amd processor --fx 4300 / athlon x2 270

asus m5a97le-- are the 990fx boards worth it? will they have features that i may need 2 yrs down the line. i hope i wont have to build another nas for atleast 5 years.

and kingston ecc ram - KVR1333D3E9S/4G. i know 8 gigs is a minimum, but im yet to find an etailer selling 8 gigs of this ram in india. so im still looking for an 8 gigs stick and will buy it the minute it find it.

and a couple of wd drives-- regarding the drives-- the red drives WD10EFRX come with just 3 yrs warranty where i stay(india) and the greens wd10ezrx and wd10eurx come with 2 yrs warranty, but the reds cost quite a bit more. will i be safe if i go with greens and use widdle?

should i go with zfs mirror now? what kind of speeds will i be getting with that if i use an intel nic -Intel EXPI9301CT?
eventually i do want to be able to have raidz2 with four drives, so what is the best config for me now.

i also plan to be able to use this as a media server for my htpc, tablet and phone.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.