Using Nagios to check the health of FreeNAS arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf29

Cadet
[Solved] Using Nagios to check the health of FreeNAS arrays

I have 2 disk-arrays on my freeNAS8 instance.
The script I have for checking drives is looking for /dev/somedrivename
I can use it to check the root partition, but the arrays one with 5 disks in it and the other with 6 disks are shown by df as only the array name mounted at /mnt/array1 and /mnt/array2
the nagios script cannot fathom this location. None of the array drives are mounted in BSD, but only in FreeNAS.

Is there a way to set FreeNAS itself to send me an alert when or if the drive arrays fill up? or are the arrays accessible through the system otherwise?

-Wolf

louisk

Patron
Can't you have it tell you the amount of consumed space for the particular mountpoint instead? If not, I would write a plugin (if you can't find one on the nagios plugin exchange) that does a df of the volume you wish to monitor and returns the numbers. Shouldn't be too difficult.

ProtoSD

MVP
Why don't you just use the nightly reports that are built in to FreeNAS?? I get an email every night at 3am with disk usage and more....

wolf29

Cadet
louisk:
I edited the plugin to call the mount point and it was very simple. Works like magic!

protosd:
I guess I didn't realize that FreeNAS did that stuff, and I was in a contextual frame of having my monitoring software monitor the network.

Thanks to you both.

Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.