User permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasfaha

Cadet
I am new to freenas and have spent sometime reading the forums to setup my system but user permissions is something I have not been able to completely understand.

The setup has sabnzb, sickbeard, couch installed and media with UID 816. I then have other users that I would like to have full access to the same folders. For test I included media in the aux group but that has not fully solved the problem (for example test can't delete files created by media).

Group: media (816), test
users: media (816), test

What I am trying to understand is how do I setup a data sheet where two users both have full permissions (read, write, delete etc)?

Appreciate any assistance. thanks.

Glorious1

Guru
If you create a group whose members are all the users you want to have access, and then assign that group to the dataset, with read, write and execute permission, that should do it. If you already have stuff in the dataset, you may want to check the recursive box when you assign permissions. Also, in the share for that dataset, Advanced Mode, you probably want to set default permissions similarly.

That said, I gather that permissions are tricky with all those interacting programs. I would make sure everything is running smoothly and you've got permissions working as you want before adding all those jails.

dasfaha

Cadet
Thanks for the information.

The issue is that many of these plugins require a defined user/group (at least from my understanding). This really limits options as all users that I would like to give full admin access essentially have to be part of the same group.

Maybe put another way is there any method to have one user part of multiple groups?

thanks.

Glorious1

Guru
Sure, you can put a user in as many groups as you want. But I suspect in cases like this most people just make all permissions 777, meaning anyone can do anything. That gets around not knowing who all the application users are.

Glorious1

Guru
I should have also pointed out that you can put as many users in a single group as you want, which seems to be what you're asking about.

[Deleted]
I see now what the confusion might have been :confused:

Glorious1

Guru
No, they are different; read again.

Yeah, you are right. I altered my comment. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.