User Authentification not possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

hartwig

Cadet
Hello,
Merry Christmas ;-)
I am knew here and started few days ago installing Freenas 8.3. I run it on a HPproliant N40L with 6GB and currently one HDD. Freenas is on a 4GB USB stick that was created from the recently downloaded image (64bit) (but the stick was created on a different machine as the N40L does not come with a CD/DVD drive).
Startup worked fine, admin password was assigned and configuration worked well via gui and the LAN (created a zfs volume with datasets, created users and groups and checked the permissions). Services currently enabled are CIFS and SMART. Admin login works fine from W7 and Linux PCs, but user login is impossible - the system is telling me, that username or password are not correct. I tried many things, but now I am running out of ideas. I believe that this might be a very stupid problem - but I am really stucked here.
Thanks for any kind of help!
Hartwig

praecorloth

Contributor
That's likely a permissions issue. Go to Storage -> Volumes -> Volume_name -> Change permissions

Make sure that your user/group has access to read/write to the volume, and set permissions recursively if you have stuff on the drive.

hartwig

Cadet
Hi,
Thanks - although changing the permissions didn't solve the problem (yet), it is important for me to know that this could be related to the permissions. So I will read the 8.3 manual and go through the configuration examples - I believe I should understand the permissions fully before setting them:)
Best regards
hartwig

dag

Cadet
Hi, just new today, loaded freenas, now on the freenas site. Tried to change the admin password as instructed, but when I type in the new password and click the change password button the loading password icon just keeps spinning and spinning. I let it try to load the password as long as 15 min, no luck. Using Win 8, is that a problem. HELP!

hartwig

Cadet
Hi, but I assume you rebooted after a while - was the new password accepted?
Regards
Hartwig

dag

Cadet
Thanks, hartwig but rebooting didn't work either. I went on my wife's computer which is windows 7 and everything works fine. maybe it's a win 8 thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.