.USB images appear as an installer versus true install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Sorry if this has been asked previously.. I hope my title isn't to confusing.. I played around with the .USB image with my ubuntu to keep a "backup" usb handy incase of any trouble.. I dd'd the image to the USB stick as instructed and booted it up on my server and was presented with an install similiar to FreeNAS Cd-rom installer..

I didn't check if I could "install" to the USB (that I dd'd t0) as I figured it was exactly like the cd-rom installer and that current USB was in use..

This is a big differnence compared to the old .img which would simply boot up the selected version of FreeNAS.. Am I missing something here? I guess I would require 2 USBs for install like this?

Sorry if I missed something,
Yatti420

D

dlavigne

Yeah, the .usb image is confusing as it ended up being transient (will only be for 9.2.1.6). The Errata does say this:

USB Image: this file ends in a .usb extension and can either be written to CDROM as described in Installing from CDROM or written to a USB device as described in Burning an IMG File.

That's not quite correct for the USB part as it is an installer image, not a live image.

Yatti420

Wizard
OK so will it become a live image again or will it be this installer image from now on?

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

D

dlavigne

I think that's still up in the air as there's plans to change the boot menu. Should have a better idea when we get closer to beta time.

Yatti420

Wizard
I guess we will have to wait and se.. I vote for live image again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.