USB backup options - local rsync or network via Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_2112

Explorer
I'm migrating to FreeNAS from Windows Home Server 2011, and I'm considering my backup options. My primary backup is a couple of large USB drives I keep at a locker in school and bring home periodically to update. I also have everything I really care about backed up to Crashplan.

It seems that my primary options for the USB backup are to plug it into my Windows desktop and use Robocopy, or connect it locally to the FreeNAS server and use rsync. I read something about restores being potentially difficult using the local USB option? I didn't really see any information regarding why.

Any comments on advantages/disadvantages of one vs the other?

Yatti420

Wizard
I think it's just easier to use Windows first and move the data off those USB drive and then over to FreeNAS.. I know FreeNAS can mount them depending on format but I just rather ensure everything goes smoothly.. Even if it takes a few extra minutes for everything to move..

jon_2112

Explorer
Thanks. To clarify, I've already got the data migrated to the FreeNAS box and am considering how to back it up going forward.

Yatti420

Wizard
Ahh yes.. In this case then USB is ok aslong as you do it on a client side.. Can be slow if USB 2 etc..

jon_2112

Explorer
Yeah, I've got gigabit ethernet and USB 3.0 at all points. Speed isn't really an issue anywhere. Should I be connecting the drive to the Windows client or the server for backup?

I'd like to be able to verify the backed-up data periodically. Robocopy and other common Windows tools don't really seem to support this. Is it possible with rsync or something else from the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.