UPS reccomendations for my build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hy guys,

I searched the forums, but i just can't seem to find an answer to the last question i have for my FreeNAS build... What UPS to buy.

I don't need anything else from this UPS than (have more than enough power to) make my NAS shutdown properly in case of power loss. Nothing else. No other devices to attach to it. So nothing fancy, something cheap, but still fully supported by my FreeNAS build.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

The system i'm building:

Supermicro X10SLH-F
4x Western Digital Red, 4TB WD40EFRX
Intel Xeon E3-1245 v3
2x Samsung8GBM391B1G73QH0-YK0
Be Quiet!Dark Power Pro 10 550WBN200
Put together in a Cooler Master Silencio 352 box

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The Cyberpower CPXXXPFCLCD series works as well as the CPXXXAVR series. My guess is that 90% of all APC and Cyberpower's work out fo the box. But, check out the NUT website on supported UPSes. That will give you assuredness that your UPS is compatible.

Thanks for the (quick!) reply.
I saw the NUT website, but there are a LOT of UPSes on there! I cannot check specs and prices of them all, so thank for these suggestions. Will have a look at them!

Yatti420

Wizard
The 850PFC has been flawless for me.. The 1000va (and possible higher) users reporting log errors (stale data/connection issues) but everything still works..

PFC and AVR series are not going to work in my country, since Input must be 230V. Why do you recommend PFCLCD in particular? The "lowest" model is CP900EPFCLCD and is 180 EUR. Is it the best option/ is it worth it?
Simulated Sine Wave, Pure Sine Wave, etc.? Is it important? And the type of AVR Function?
Sorry for all these questions, please tell me also if they are not important at all. Just curious on what is all means, since i seem to be spending more money on this then excpected.

I cannot find the No. minutes of half/max load on power loss for the CP900EPFCLCD. Anyone knows?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok.. you need to understand a few things about your questions.

1. The questions and the answers are VERY personal. About as personal as a toothbrush. There may be better ones for some situations, but it's up to you to take all the different options and figure out what is "best" for you. It's as unique as picking shoes.
2. The different waves matter, sometimes. Some PSUs will work with any of them, other PSUs will trip off if they don't have a pure sign wave. It's up to you to decide what you want to buy based on your hardware. The ones I gave work for 99% of computers, especially the pure sine wave which costs more because it basically always works. Generally if you go with one of those high efficiency PSUs you are very likely to need a pure sine wave. That efficient PSU has strick needs for power coming into it, and feeding it a simulated sine wave or worse often doesn't work out.
3. I can provide no further advice on a model except to go to the NUT website. The manual says to see the NUT website, and we'll tell you the same thing here.
4. With all models they'll provide a curve for power vs time and if you know how much power you need you can easily cross compare their graphs to get time.

If you feel overwhelmed, you should be. Picking a UPS is not easy, and there's probably 200 threads on this forum discussing this very topic.

Thanks. Yeah, i know it's very personal. An i know even more it is hard and complicated to choose...

Best way to be sure is to choose a pure sine wave model then, thanks. One criteria to add :)

Going to the NUT website only helps when you already have a/some model(s) in mind, or am i missing something here?

What is actually the risk when on a power outage, using FreeNAS? What are the possible scenarios? Only limited data loss, or is there more?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That depends on how you shop.. some people go there with a model(s) in mind. Others go there to see what works and see what they can get. Really depends on your market.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Limited data loss.. any uncommitted writes may be lost. But, we've had a few people lose their pools, completely. So going without a UPS is somewhat risky. Anyone who has worked in file server management for a living knows you go with a UPS and don't even question it.

Lose the pool completely? Wow... that is certainly not a risk i am willing to take!
Thanks for your help cyberjock. Guess i'll be spending some more time reading and digging :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.