SOLVED UPS-Hell. Am just unlucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
As a some of you, I wrote a few weeks ago about a UPS I had that gave up. I RMA'ed it and got a new on from APS. I plugged it in and left it for a few hours, according to the instructions. When I turned it on, I got a screaming audio error message followed by UPS death. I bought a brand new UPS, this time from Cyberpower. When it arrived, I left it plugged in for about a day, to charge the battery. When turned it on, I received the message "F04: Internal Fault (Contact CyberPower Systems for Support.)".

This is the third UPS device from two different manufacturers,that somehow give up within barely a month, two of them without ever having a device connected. Could it be that there is something in my apartment / home that kills UPS devices (and seemingly nothing else?) Is it even possible or likely? I live in a relatively new apartment, built about 3 years ago, so the power system should be modern.

APC Model:
Back-UPS-ES-700-Desktop-UPS

http://www.apc.com/shop/ro/en/produ...PS-ES-8-Outlet-700VA-230V-CEE-7-7/P-BE700G-GR

Cyberpower Model
https://www.computersalg.se/i/846209/cyberpower-cp1500epfclcd-1500-va?sq=cyberpower.
though mine seem to only have 6 outlets

This us very tiresome and I don't know what to do, so any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceetan

Contributor

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Could it be that there is something in my apartment / home that kills UPS devices (and seemingly nothing else?)
It's possible. The higher-end APC units have a site wiring fault LED. I don't know exactly what they detect, but I would guess at least a missing ground, possibly reversed hot and neutral. How miswiring could affect a UPS depends on the way the UPS works, but you have some pretty good evidence that something is wrong. New construction does not necessarily mean correct construction, either. The safest thing would be to have an electrician check it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The easiest way a UPS might die without having everything else in the house blow up might be for the voltage to be constantly changing within a somewhat acceptable range, to which the UPS would react by switching to different windings on the autotransformer, wearing out the relays. You'd definitely hear constant clicking, though.

scrappy

Patron
Maybe hook it up at a friend or relative's home to see what happens. Sounds like your home wiring has issues.

Nick2253

Wizard
If you are renting, in the US at least, this would be the land-lord's responsibility to fix. I'm not sure what the situation is for you in Sweden.

If it's your place, and you want to investigate without paying for an electrician, I would get a multimeter, and see what kind of current you going on in the socket. That will give you an indication if something is wired up wrong. If that's the case, you can probably fix it yourself (please do some research, and be safe. Messing around with electricity is a quick trip to the hospital if you don't know what you're doing). If everything seems to be right, it might be something more insidious with either the circuit breaker, or something with the wiring, so you'll probably need an electrician.

unseen

Contributor
Could it be that there is something in my apartment / home that kills UPS devices (and seemingly nothing else?) Is it even possible or likely? I live in a relatively new apartment, built about 3 years ago, so the power system should be modern.

There's nothing in your power system that could cause this, as long as your UPS is designed for Sweden's 230V mains electricity.
The wiring in my '40s apartment is a mess of old and new and my UPS has been running just fine for the last seven years or so. I bought mine from Kjell & Co, but they don't sell that model any more.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's nothing in your power system that could cause this, as long as your UPS is designed for Sweden's 230V mains electricity.
That's not really true. There's a lot that could go wrong, not necessarily caused by the installation itself.

Ceetan

Contributor
Aa little update on this for anyone curious. As in turns out, everything in my apartment was fine. I was simply unlucky, and har received DOA hardware....every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.