Upgrading HomeServer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClearWire

Cadet
I`m going to upgrade my current home server, it's very old (Intel Atom with 4GB Ram) and need upgrade for new project.

Requirements:
* NAS
* Handling 3 virtual machines (two Windows 7 and Linux without GUI) possibility to add 2 more in future
* Applications: Plex, Qbittorent, Files backup,
* Storage for Video recording

Below parts will be used from my current setup
* 2 x WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBERSE/?tag=ozlp-20
* Micro ATX case (no-name)
* SSD GOODRAM CX300 2.5 120GB SATA III 555/540 http://www.goodram.com/product/ssd/goodram-cx300/
and now I have a problem, I don't know what CPU and motherbord choose. I read a lot of guides, blogs etc and I`m stuck.
I read that Intel Xeon processors support better virtualization. I don't want RAM with ECC (not now).
My budget is ~ 400$ for CPU, motherboard, and 16 GB of RAM - it can be used.
One more thing, my current setup consume ~35Wats in iddle, I don't want to get higher than 80Wats in idle after upgrading.

I would appreciate your help.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Xeon e3-1230v6, x11ssl with 16gb ecc would probably be a great system for you.

If you want cheaper you can look at the e3-1231 and a x10 motherboard.

Both of these system will idle below 40watt depending on the number of drives. Drives use all the power, everything else is about the same these days.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dice

Wizard
If you want cheaper you can look at the e3-1231 and a x10 motherboard.
I disagree in this situation, RAM limitations come into play when running several VMs while maintaining some FreeNAS performance.

X11 or taking the plunge to a X10 E5.
I don't want RAM with ECC (not now).
yes you do want ECC.
I don't want to get higher than 80Wats in idle after upgrading.
That will get you a X10 E5 system.

Budget will have you limited though.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I disagree in this situation, RAM limitations come into play when running several VMs while maintaining some FreeNAS performance.

X11 or taking the plunge to a X10 E5.

yes you do want ECC.

That will get you a X10 E5 system.

Budget will have you limited though.
You are taking about running the vms on freenas? I don't think that is what the op had in mind. If they do plan on using bhyve then e5 would be the correct solution. If they plan on just storing virtual disks in it then 16GB would be ok if performance isn't an concern.

Dice

Wizard
You are taking about running the vms on freenas? I don't think that is what the op had in mind. If they do plan on using bhyve then e5 would be the correct solution. If they plan on just storing virtual disks in it then 16GB would be ok if performance isn't an concern.

We need some clarification from OP, or at least having OP understand the motives behind the diverging recommendations.
I interpreted the VM's were intended to run the FreeNAS machine.

ClearWire

Cadet
I thought about using FreeNAS as a hypervisor and run VM under bhyve.
Windows 7 machines shouldn't be overloaded - one of them will be used as a "jumphost" with only one application similar to VNC. Second one will have application that can't be run under FreeNas directly.

The most important for me is data backup, and storage for video recording (maybe application for managing camera recording).
I think this solution will be cheaper and scalable under my needs than in example completing hardware under ESXi

@ m0nkey_ Thanks for the very good article!https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?members/m0nkey_.53810/

Status
Not open for further replies.