Upgraded 12U4 --> U5.1, iSCSI failed to start

myway

Cadet
Issue:
Upgraded successful but iSCSI service can't start so that ESXi can't mount iscsi disk.

Console Messages showed error msg:
TrueNAS-ESXi.local root 1061 - - /etc/rc: WARNING: /etc/ctl.conf is not readable.
TrueNAS-ESXi.local root 1062 - - /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for ctld

What I did:
  1. Checked "/etc/ctl.conf" is NOT exiting anymore.
  2. GUI configuration still there after upgrade.
  3. Run cli command touch to create a empty file
    touch /etc/ctl.conf
  4. Back to GUI "Sharing / iSCSI " function to change something so hoping it will recreate configs content but nothing appended in "/etc/ctl.conf"
  5. Use vmware station installed a fresh 12U3 system.
    1. tried create iSCSI share by GUI and runs as expect.
    2. "/etc/ctl.conf" reflecting all GUI changes.
  6. Copied it as template to 12U5.1 system and change accordingly.
  7. Restart iSCSI service without issue.
Question
Is this a 12U5.1 serious bug?

/etc/ctl.conf example :

Code:
portal-group "default" {
}

portal-group "pg1" {
        tag "0x0001"
        discovery-filter "portal-name"
        discovery-auth-group "no-authentication"
        listen "0.0.0.0:3260"
        option "ha_shared" "on"
}

lun "400g" {
        ctl-lun "0"
        path "/dev/da15"
        blocksize "512"
        serial "000c2911e264001"
        device-id "iSCSI Disk      000c2911e264001                "
        option "vendor" "TrueNAS"
        option "product" "iSCSI Disk"
        option "revision" "0123"
        option "naa" "0x6589cfc00000013c7a716fb429d118ba"
        option "insecure_tpc" "on"
        option "rpm" "1"
}

target "iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:400g" {
        alias "400g"
        portal-group "pg1" "no-authentication"
        lun "0" "400g"
}

ntlord

Cadet
I'm having the exact same problem. And have the exact same symptoms. The GUI no longer appears to change ctl.conf at all.

Gabri.91

Cadet
Same issue for me as well, upgrading from 12.5 to 12.5U1, so I guess the issue is in 12.5U1.

Any way to recreate the missing file? I've tried saving again all iSCSI settings but without luck.

Now iSCSI it's not working at all, any idea on how to have it back?

SpacemanJT

Cadet
Dudes... I just registered on the forum to confirm the same issue.

Upgraded from 12.0 to 12.5U1 and iSCSI just died. Rolled back to 12.0 and its working again.

TrueNAS-ESXi.local root 1061 - - /etc/rc: WARNING: /etc/ctl.conf is not readable.
TrueNAS-ESXi.local root 1062 - - /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for ctld

Gabri.91

Cadet
Dudes... I just registered on the forum to confirm the same issue. Upgraded from 12.0 to 12.5U1 and iSCSI just died. Rolled back to 12.0 and its working again. TrueNAS-ESXi.local root 1061 - - /etc/rc: WARNING: /etc/ctl.conf is not readable. TrueNAS-ESXi.local root 1062 - - /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for ctld
How to downgrade? Using "manual update" and uploading the previous version?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Use the option to select a previous boot enviroment from the TrueNAS GUI.

To activate a different boot environment, go to System > Boot and click the three dot menu for the desired boot environment. Next, click Activate. This boot environment shows Reboot in the Active column. This means the boot environment becomes active on the next system boot. The system configuration also changes to the state it was in when the boot environment was created.

If you're unable to boot properly or access the UI this can also be done from the CLI/physical keyboard.

csj

iXsystems
iXsystems
I've pushed a PR here. If you're tech-savvy enough, it's a singular file being changed. All you need to do is take the file that I changed and copy it to "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/etc_files/ctld.py" on the TrueNAS and then "service middlewared restart".

Then you can regenerate the ctld.conf via "midclt call etc.generate ctld" and you should be back up and running.

Gabri.91

Cadet
Conf
I've pushed a PR here. If you're tech-savvy enough, it's a singular file being changed. All you need to do is take the file that I changed and copy it to "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/etc_files/ctld.py" on the TrueNAS and then "service middlewared restart".

Then you can regenerate the ctld.conf via "midclt call etc.generate ctld" and you should be back up and running.
Confirmed, working now!
Thank you