Upgrade 11.1 u5 to 11.3 (u current) Advice

eyocum

Dabbler
Hi, all;

Are there any problems with going straight from 11.1-u5 to 11.3-(u current)? I've seen some posts talking about jail issues, and a few others, and I'm concerned because that's a 2 ver step. My setup is simple - file store and share, and Plex. Anything to be aware/careful of? I have seen Samuel Tai's post (https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/path-to-success-for-system-upgrades.85589/), and I'll be following those steps, just asking if there's anything I should pay special/extra attention to - my issues with the system migration (below) have made me extra cautious.

---

My current 11.1 installation has been fine for a few years (I first brought it up 4 ish years back). I decided to replace the old base hardware, and settled on a Mini-XL rather than building myself.

I got the new system, moved my hd's and stick over and everything runs fine from the usb. But, I cannot get 11.1-u5 to load to the XLs' internal drive (I wanted to upgrade with all the hardware in place). There are others that have had a similar installation problem and I'm still reading through the postings about that issue. I've decided my fallback if nothing I find works will be upgrading the stick install to 11.3-u4, then doing a fresh install to XL drive (which does work - just not 11.1), then loading the saved config files to get my pools and settings up.

Either way I upgrade (the internal drive or stick), I'll still have the .1-u5 to .3-u4 step issue, so I wanted to ask before I did anything.

Thanks for advice/pointers - I'm more gun shy than usual because of the issues with the stick/drives.

Erik